A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

The white snake won! I gave the turd four chicken eggs cause i dont have any fertile turk eggs. This jerk was in the tractor for a WEEK! Food, water and absolutely no nest anything, bitchin and complainin the whole time...... let her out.... back to her spot and fluffy again. I jus give up. Guess we might have a chicken or two up there for a bit. :/. She is happy as a lark now.

Aviary Photo_131797061957181801.png Turkey Hen1.jpg

Kind of loving my saucy Turkey girl. Do you guys ever trim flight feathers? 3 nights in a row I've had to coax her out of the Pine tree...and I'm thinking it might be best.

View attachment 1515260 View attachment 1515261

Kind of loving my saucy Turkey girl. Do you guys ever trim flight feathers? 3 nights in a row I've had to coax her out of the Pine tree...and I'm thinking it might be best.

I try not to but Lil is about to have her's cut. I've had to knock her out of the tree every night for the past month. I don't mind her escaping the open every day since she doesn't go anywhere but the sleeping in the tree is getting old.

View attachment 1515260 View attachment 1515261

We trim one side to help keep them in their pen. For some it works others not so much. They cant get in trees with high limbs this way but can get high enough to get away from things. They can hop from branch to branch though.

This past spring I sold a yearling Blue Slate tom and two 4 year old Blue Slate hens to a girl in 4H. They did not have a cage so just put the turkeys in the back seat of their tiny car. I did tape each turkey's legs together to discourage any commotion and the tom fit snugly between front seat and the back seat.

I just got a phone call from the mother looking for guinea keets and she asked if I was the person who sold them the turkeys. The girl took the tom to their county fair and he took second place because they couldn't get him to strut. He had spent most of the day fighting with the tom in the adjacent cage. The judges liked him so well that they encouraged her to bring him back next year.

At the State Fair he took top place among all turkeys.

R2, you raise beautiful birds... But I too could never handle the show stuff. I'm still not certain what I'm going to do for next year. BR &RP hatch was a total dud and only got a handful of nari and blacks. Thinking about getting hatchery stock to replenish... IDK.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom