A Chicken Coop Christmas Ornament

I had that problem too @EggSighted4Life.

@bjmoose can I suggest a design I have seen often?
Instead of a lifting egg box lid a drop down back to prevent water entry.
Thank you. That does sound like a fantastic solution! :highfive: Come to think of it, I do have that kind on the one we built ourselves, though it was more about the overall design than the actual function.

One issue I have with the drop down one is that we made that hinged at the edge and shaving or bedding get clumped in there making it difficult to close. So maybe side drop like you say but with the hinge being a little higher. I thought level with the floor would make for easier cleaning. Turns out I collect eggs daily and clean on occasion. But it rarely gets bad enough to need to scrape it out as I was originally thinking.

Yes about 4 inches up should limit the shaving pinch point.
Even that can get clogged with straw....but I don't use bins.
full

full

Mine does not hinge but fits under a rain guard so there is no gap for rain to get into. The rain guard is the tan part (waiting for warmer temps to paint it).It's captured on the sides with the bottom trim boards and the latch keeps it secure. You could attach some cord or chain so it hinges out and up and the cord would keep it attached.

RONB-22.jpg

JT

Thanks. I'll take all those thoughts into consideration on the nest boxes.
This morning I've framed and sided the right side, and framed and sheeted the floor.

I'd really like to get those attached and then build the back before the end of the day, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't want to get into a snit with anyone about tools. I write trying to assume the reader has built something before, but this is the most complicated thing they've built. Anyone who's built enough to have a strong opinion on their tools will naturally proceed based on their own desires and experience, and will ignore my advice, which is as it should be.

You aired moving along nicely with the build.
I like it. I am sure your wife will be thrilled to get her birdies.

You are right. We all have our favorite tools.

Most important is to have the same number of fingers when done.
;)

Is your saw a radial arm saw? I like them. Tis on my want list. Right now I have a very well used compound miter saw.
Each year I add some new gadget. Most work well. Some sit in the shed lol.

I showed your ornament to my hubby. He thought it was a wonderful way to say yes to birds.

:thumbsup

Mine does not hinge but fits under a rain guard so there is no gap for rain to get into. The rain guard is the tan part (waiting for warmer temps to paint it).It's captured on the sides with the bottom trim boards and the latch keeps it secure. You could attach some cord or chain so it hinges out and up and the cord would keep it attached.

View attachment 1219649

JT
Yes, my issue is with the water that is still on top of the board running back under the hinged part and dripping even after the rain has quit, only when I open it. That looks like a nice secure box. :)

Back
Top Bottom