A Chicken or duck or rooster was found dead in my chicken coop and it,s head was missing

I think a raccoon attacked your bird.
Do you have a predator proof coop?
Do you keep chickens and ducks?
i have ducks and chickens and 2 roosters i have a big electricity fence that protects the chickens from my dog and predators but all the chickens were pecking at the dead body

Chickens will eat a dead chicken but they don't remove a head, the head would've been removed by a predator first before the chickens started eating the dead chicken.
Do you have a breach in your fencing anywhere?

Chickens will eat a dead chicken but they don't remove a head, the head would've been removed by a predator first before the chickens started eating the dead chicken.
Do you have a breach in your fencing anywhere?
i don,t think so. my gate won,t close because the gate is broken so maybe the predator went in through the open gate

What kind of predators do you have? Where are you located? Where in the US or which Country in the World are you located?
A raccoon could get through a gap and so can weasels and mink, they can fit through a normal hole in chicken wire.

What kind of predators do you have? Where are you located? Where in the US or which Country in the World are you located?
A raccoon could get through a gap and so can weasels and mink, they can fit through a normal hole in chicken wire.
i usually have wild mountain lions walking in the woods sometimes because i live in townsend. maybe some lions ate the head of the chicken and ran out of the coop

If the predator could come in the gate, it could have carried the chicken back out if it were a larger predator. A mink will kill a chicken and just eat the head and leave the rest of the bird.

If you look at the feet, you will know if it’s a chicken or a duck if you can’t tell by looking at the body.

I also have cougars by me.
A cougar will carry the bird off and cover them with debris. You will also see scratch marks where it attacked the bird.

it was just so sad to see a dead chicken in the coop i don,t know who caused it but i think my dog ate the head of the chicken and probaly ran out without getting caught if i can take a picture some how i will be able to show what happened but im on a pc though

Back
Top Bottom