1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chicken rookie's coop project...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by M&LO, Jan 16, 2011.

1. M&LO

M&LO Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    usa
    Good morning y'all...
    About 2 months ago, my wife and I received a gift of about a 1/2 dozen fresh eggs. She made the comment "Wouldn't it be nice to have our own fresh eggs" and here we go.
    I started reading this forum every day and made a mental note of the ideas and/or suggestions that I liked and that I thought would fit our situation for where we live, etc. I was going to wait to post pics until my project is done but decided this morning to post pictures as the project progresses for a couple of reasons. #1...I'm a far cry from being an experienced carpenter. I had no plans when we started, just an "idea" in my head. My son kept asking questions like "What are we going to do here?" My answer was usually "Don't know, just keep building and I'm sure something will reveal itself". My point is, if I can build a coop, anyone can. Reason #2....I'm hoping that if anyone sees any obvious mistakes, they'll give me a heads up and tell me what to correct. So here we go, this thread will be picture heavy because I don't really know all of the correct chicken terminology to explain what I'm doing. I've put my comments on my photos so y'all will follow my thought process...good luck, no one else ever has. This project has gotten out of hand with a much bigger structure than I pictured, my wife has taken to calling it the "Coop DeVille". Thanks for your patience and your advice will be appreciated!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow, looking very nice, well done! [​IMG]

But - there's always a but - 4 hens isn't going to work. You WILL end up with more. It's a concept you will become very familiar with, it's called "chicken math". [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I can't believe you got all that done in 2 days! Looks great too. I'll be watching for updates. [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That's some good, sturdy construction you've got there! Nice work.

Don't forget to build in adequate ventilation for your coop. Figure about 1 square foot of vent per chicken occupancy, ideally high at the top of walls so that you can leave the vents open or partially open even in cold weather. Awning style flaps over the vents are also useful to open and close the vents as needed.

The only thing I'd mention is that I think you may find the low roof on the run less than convenient. In order to get inside the run to clean up, catch a chicken or put out feeders/waterers, you're going to have to bend over (my back aches just to think of it).

And to deter predators from digging into your run from the outside, you can attach a hardware cloth apron to the baseboard extending outward about 2 feet or so, then stake it down to the ground with landscaping staples. That's much easier than digging a trench to bury the wire.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Wow, that's one good-lookin' son, I mean, COOP! [​IMG]

6. CopperCT

CopperCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    That looks great! Your future chicks will love it. [​IMG]

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:Ditto!

The camera loves him!

The coops not bad looking either:D

8. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010

The camera loves him!

I agree!

9. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI

The camera loves him!

I agree!

x4 [​IMG]

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Those hens will have it made,.. that's a wonderful coop!
    I think that son of yours deserves more than one egg!,.. maybe a whole omlette!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by