A chicken rookie's coop project...

M&LO

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
usa
Good morning y'all...
About 2 months ago, my wife and I received a gift of about a 1/2 dozen fresh eggs. She made the comment "Wouldn't it be nice to have our own fresh eggs" and here we go.
I started reading this forum every day and made a mental note of the ideas and/or suggestions that I liked and that I thought would fit our situation for where we live, etc. I was going to wait to post pics until my project is done but decided this morning to post pictures as the project progresses for a couple of reasons. #1...I'm a far cry from being an experienced carpenter. I had no plans when we started, just an "idea" in my head. My son kept asking questions like "What are we going to do here?" My answer was usually "Don't know, just keep building and I'm sure something will reveal itself". My point is, if I can build a coop, anyone can. Reason #2....I'm hoping that if anyone sees any obvious mistakes, they'll give me a heads up and tell me what to correct. So here we go, this thread will be picture heavy because I don't really know all of the correct chicken terminology to explain what I'm doing. I've put my comments on my photos so y'all will follow my thought process...good luck, no one else ever has. This project has gotten out of hand with a much bigger structure than I pictured, my wife has taken to calling it the "Coop DeVille". Thanks for your patience and your advice will be appreciated!!!

MarkLisasBigChickenCoopProject003.jpg

MarkLisasBigChickenCoopProject005.jpg

MarkLisasBigChickenCoopProject006.jpg

MarkLisasBigChickenCoopProject007.jpg

DSC06588.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06590.jpg

DSC06591.jpg

DSC06592.jpg

DSC06593.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

DSC06668.jpg

DSC06672.jpg

DSC06680.jpg

DSC06681.jpg

DSC06682.jpg

DSC06683.jpg

Wow, looking very nice, well done!
thumbsup.gif

But - there's always a but - 4 hens isn't going to work. You WILL end up with more. It's a concept you will become very familiar with, it's called "chicken math".
tongue.png

welcome-byc.gif

That's some good, sturdy construction you've got there! Nice work.

Don't forget to build in adequate ventilation for your coop. Figure about 1 square foot of vent per chicken occupancy, ideally high at the top of walls so that you can leave the vents open or partially open even in cold weather. Awning style flaps over the vents are also useful to open and close the vents as needed.

The only thing I'd mention is that I think you may find the low roof on the run less than convenient. In order to get inside the run to clean up, catch a chicken or put out feeders/waterers, you're going to have to bend over (my back aches just to think of it).

And to deter predators from digging into your run from the outside, you can attach a hardware cloth apron to the baseboard extending outward about 2 feet or so, then stake it down to the ground with landscaping staples. That's much easier than digging a trench to bury the wire.

Back
Top Bottom