1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A chicken with a balding head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elmo32, Oct 30, 2011.

1. elmo32

elmo32 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Hi there, Im new to this site. I am a chicken lover of many years, recently I have noticed one of my chickens has a balding head, under the comb & eye area... another is starting to loose feathers in that area too! I have recently (2-3 weeks ago) treated for lice with PESTENE.... is this a mite/lice problem or more than that?
    Advice & help appreciated!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could she be molting? It's the right time of year for it.

3. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    I'd guess molting also...

~Tammy

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

This has been brought up before.
    I had a hen that went bald only on the top of her head. She was bald for 1-1/2 to 2 years and then started regrowing the feathers. I have no idea what was occurring, but there was no signs if illness, parasites, no roos.

Imp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My BR's head/face began going bald before she molted this year (still molting); that didn't happen with last year's molt.
    I'm not familiar with Pestine...wonder if she could have had a reaction???

6. elmo32

elmo32 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Thank-you for your responses...
    My Freeda girl had a big molt not long ago... I live in souther east of Australia. She lost heaps of feathers & has regrown all of them back. I have tried Pestene on them before but perhaps a reaction is possible... Everything about Freeda is normal & no changes in her visable in any way. Perhaps time will tell if the feathers regrow. Its not affecting the others at all. I appreciate your responses [​IMG] Thank-you
    IMP thats what Freedas head looks like in your photo! Thanks for sharing, they are beautiful hens.... im guessing a RIR or Isa & a suzzex?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by