A cockerel for my hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by torilovessmiles, Sep 19, 2014.

1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I am just getting my flock started, and I'm really interested in breeding my chickens. I have 6 Golden Comet hens, but I'm not sure what kind of cockerel I want. While I collect the eggs, I also use their feathers to make handcrafted jewelry.
    I don't mind having mutt chickens. I need them to lay well, but also have desirable colors and patterns on their feathers. My current hens have pretty feathers, but I would like some variety.
    Do you have any breed suggestions for a cockerel?
    If you happen to have any other suggestions they are also greatly appreciated :)
  2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I'd keep my eye on the free rooster postings from your area and just pick out a pretty one. Seems like roos are always posted here and on Craigslist.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    You definitely should get a cockerel breed that has a reputation for being calm and gentle as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles all have a well earned reputation for being calm and gentle birds. Of course, keep in mind that there can always be exceptions in any breed. If breeding a high rate of laying into your flock is a priority, the best laying breed on this list is the Black Australorp.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, I like barred birds so would go with a barred Rock or black sex link rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by