A cockerel for my hens?

torilovessmiles

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Central West Virginia
I am just getting my flock started, and I'm really interested in breeding my chickens. I have 6 Golden Comet hens, but I'm not sure what kind of cockerel I want. While I collect the eggs, I also use their feathers to make handcrafted jewelry.
I don't mind having mutt chickens. I need them to lay well, but also have desirable colors and patterns on their feathers. My current hens have pretty feathers, but I would like some variety.
Do you have any breed suggestions for a cockerel?
If you happen to have any other suggestions they are also greatly appreciated :)

I am just getting my flock started, and I'm really interested in breeding my chickens. I have 6 Golden Comet hens, but I'm not sure what kind of cockerel I want. While I collect the eggs, I also use their feathers to make handcrafted jewelry.
I don't mind having mutt chickens. I need them to lay well, but also have desirable colors and patterns on their feathers. My current hens have pretty feathers, but I would like some variety.
Do you have any breed suggestions for a cockerel?
If you happen to have any other suggestions they are also greatly appreciated :)

You definitely should get a cockerel breed that has a reputation for being calm and gentle as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles all have a well earned reputation for being calm and gentle birds. Of course, keep in mind that there can always be exceptions in any breed. If breeding a high rate of laying into your flock is a priority, the best laying breed on this list is the Black Australorp.

Back
Top Bottom