A "cockle doodle do" to you all too!

lyric

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Sunny FL
Gooood afternoon fellow chickenistas! I am called Lyric and delighted to have found you good people. Let's get to the intro. They can be quite fun sometimes.
thumbsup.gif

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am newer than new to chickens. Stay tuned for the first acquisition.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We do not have any chickens now as we have only recently decided to go forward with the land acquisition. We are so very excited to be on this journey to self-sufficiency.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Ooh ooh, get this, we were online yesterday looking at chickens, right? WHO KNEW there were so many varieties. I am so ignorant it is a crying shame. But, we had a BLAST I tell you. Okay, okay, so since we want to be successful at homesteading/farming and dh said we should pick one to two varieties and stick to them. He is interested in meat and eggs so we figured we would select one of each type that is known for that. After reading about the Ameraucana I think we agree that they will be in our brood. Being a child of the 60's, I've gotta have a Foghorn Leghorn type chicken.
lau.gif
Plus, red and white are my fav colors. Seriously, I just saw the Dominique and it states they are high layers. But what about the Dorking. Okay, you see the problem we are going to have . . . keeping ourselves down to 2-3 varieties. (Notice how I stuck another variety in there)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Researching how to build a chicken coop for an article I am writing for Demand Studios' How-to section. I am a freelance writer. I opted to write the article since we are preparing to move to our land this fall. I realize I have much to learn in preparation for this total lifestyle change. We are excited.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Soapmaking, rollerskating, Urban ballroom dance, Chicago Style Stepping, crocheting, sewing, reading, music, making goat milk lotions and shea body butters, writing, learning about homesteading/small acreage farming.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Newly married to into a family with a self-titled country boy, raised in West Virginia on a farm, and his three children. We met and live in Central Florida. He has acquired a couple acres and we are interested in self-sufficiency and simpler living depending upon ourselves versus the government, local grocery stores, etc. Being self-employed he encouraged me to do the same therefore I quit the graveyard shift job at the large hospital in Tampa Bay and skidaddled on over here with them in Polk County. I am pursuing freelance writing and niche blogging as a career. Working from home should allow me to fully take care of necessary homestead duties, FEEDING OUR NEW CHICKENS, when we get them and the other members of our lil homestead (family cow, Zoe, yes she has a name though she does not exist...yet; my goats, perhaps some hog). Oh and we are going to call our farm "Hip Hillbilly Farm", LOL. His daughter thought of it and it stuck.
woot.gif

Last edited:
1. I'm new to chickens, they are 6 months old now.

2. I have 9 chickens!

3. I have 6 Golden Comets and 3 Black Stars.

4. I found out about BYC from internet research. When I needed to know something about poultry, BYC posts came up and were great help!

5. My other hobbies are: taking care of my other animals (cows, dogs, and cats), traveling, reading, spending time with my family.

6. I'm new to chicken raising and I love it! I plan on adding some flare to the flock next year with some Dutch Bantams, Brahma Bantams (maybe), and Black Sumatras!!!!

Welcome to BYC from Kansas!!
wee.gif

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I had chickens one year when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9. It was fun - not sure why I didn't continue.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

15 as of today. Got 35 in the spring - all were meant for meat. I process them out a few at a time - eat some, give others to friends. I am about to place an order for chicks with the idea of having laying hens, however.

(3) What breeds do you have?

All males in the following varieties: barred rock, RIR, sliver leghorn, and Easter eggers.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

During an internet search for chicken coops.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Hunting, fishing, camping, reading, dogs, and now CHICKENS!!
yippiechickie.gif

(6) It's just me and my fiance', we have two labs - one black and one chocolate, My occupation is a school guidance counselor.

Back
Top Bottom