A Colorado Newbie!!

mikey360

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Larimer County, Colorado
Hi folks!! Another newbie here! Living in Northern Colorado just outside Loveland. My neighbor has a dozen chickens and every time he goes out of the area I get to take care of them and gather eggs in return. So we have decided to get a coop and start with half a dozen chickens using the 3-4 sq feet per bird rule. I am scrolling through the posts looking for useful info and I'm finding alot. Let me ask one question that I know has been asked many times but it is very important to someone starting out. We have already had +100 degree weather this summer and up here in the foothills we can get -20 in December. Which breed best for those conditions? I'm thinking it's better to get a breed best for the heat and put a heater in the coop for the winter. What say you all? Thanks for looking at my post!

Greetings from Kansas, mikey360, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard!! Not sure how many hot-hot days you have but generally speaking, chickens deal with cold much better than heat. Let's take cold first - you mentioned heat in the coop. Not necessary if you have a draft-free (but still ventilated coop). Here is a link that you might find interesting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

You might avoid the large combed varieties (Leghorns, Anconas, Minorcas, etc.) as their combs tend to get frostbite.

Most commonly available breeds will be fine in the heat - as long as they have cool fresh water, shade, and breeze. Here is a nifty chart that compares many breeds by various attributes - including heat and cold tolerance. Good luck on your chicken adventure!!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

welcome-byc.gif
Redsoxs has it covered. You might also want to head for "Where am I, where are you," one of the tabs on the social(this) forum, so you can locate your state and post there. Should bring you in contact with others from your area who would be able to give more detailed info about climate and breeds that adapt best.

Back
Top Bottom