A coon in broad daylight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CESOrtega, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CESOrtega

CESOrtega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    This morning as my son was working on grammar (we home school) he called out and said it looked like a coon was having a seizure in the yard. I got the binoculars and scanned the yard. Sure enough, there was a coon lying on the ground way out by the fence between our house and the neighbors, probably about 100 yards away. It was acting really odd and not paying one whit of attention to our chickens who were free ranging. So, we put up the girls and I got my husband. We watched the coon for a few minutes. It would get up, walk a few feet, turn around and walk the other direction, lie down in the grass and roll around, get up and shake off, walk around in circles some more and pace up and down a few feet. Just strange. I felt it would be best to shoot the coon. I hate for an animal to die but I also would hate a sick animal to bite us! So, hubby went out and did the deed. I feel sorry that the animal had to die, but I didn't think it was worth the risk of what could happen if we left it alone.

2. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Sounds like rabies. Please be careful when disposing of the carcass

3. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Quote:I agree. I would of shot it too then called the game warden for disposal instructions. Or maybe googled it. I am not sure if it s legal to shoot an animal you suspect has rabies.

Anyone?

4. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    you certianly done the right thing,a raccoon out in daylight suggests a potential problem with rabies,be extra careful about disposing of the carcass,if its possible,have the animal tested for rabies,no one wants to take a chance with a rabid raccoon,I am sure wildlife resources comm. would agree.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I will add this, if I were a betting person I would bet on distemper. Distemper is more likely the reason for the illness then rabies at least according to our animal control officer. I had the officer dispose of two coons in my yard last year and once tested both tested positive for distemper.
    You did the right thing, it wasn't long for the world anyway and you ended it's suffering.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've had raccoons come out in the day, but they didn't act sick. Just hugry for my cherries.

In Stanley Park (Vancouver BC) the raccoons come out for treats from the visitors during the day. If you don't feed them they can get a little aggressive.

A couple years ago I was housesitting for a neighbor, when a sick possum came into the yard. It was staggering, falling down, crying. Very creepy. I left the yard till it was gone.

Imp

7. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Hi this is Chief's wife.

I'm a Veterinary Asst. I would say distemper, but it could also be rabies. Just because you see a raccoon during the day does not mean rabies. Call animal control they will test for distemper and decapitate the head and send it off to test for rabies. Rabies is transmitted through saliva, urine and blood. Use a shovel if you feel like bagging it and double bag it. Put bleach on the site it was killed and on the shovel.

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Sounds like he was obviously sick, but depending on where you live, it could be any number of things -- around here we worry most about Parvo.

Any way you look at it, be careful!

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Here in Colorado distemper cycles thru the coon population about every 2 to 3 years. When that hapens there will be a massive die off and animal control in my town often pick up as many as 40 dead or dying coons a week. Rabies is more constant and is more year round while distemper seems to emerge in the early spring and continue till late summer /early fall. My experience with distemper coons is that they stagger and look sick but unless they are too ill to move they still try to leave when approached by humans. Rabid coons seem to wander aimlessly back and forth or in circles and will hold their ground when approached. Sometimes they freeze when approached as if they think you can no longer see them . They often look healthy even when infected and their friendly behaviour and healthy appearance might mislead someone into thinking the coon is an escaped pet. I have also seen them come at a person when they are rabid. Either way it doesnt really matter since the coon in question is deceased. Careful and proper disposal of the carcass is in order now. I personally wouldnt have the animal tested as that might get you into trouble for shooting it in the first place. The local animal control and wildlife people already know what the distemper/rabies status is in the area so testing isnt going to alert them to anything they dont already know. Good job for killing the coon as it was sick and suffering and was a threat.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Very good advice. Raccoons do forage during the day- but that sort of behavior certainly indicated a sick animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by