A coop with a special purpose.....

landziner

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2016
20161008_173610.jpg
Hello all! It's unfathomable to me that I am just now getting around to joining this page. We have only had chickens for 7 years, but with all the changes and curve balls life has thrown, it seems so much longer. I started our chicken journey originally to help my special needs daughter Josie learn responsibility, but it has blossomed into SO much more than I could have ever anticipated. Primarily because of my daughter, so I guess that's the place for my story here to start, with my daughter. Josie was born with a rare genetic chromosomal disorder called Isodicentric 15, more commonly known as Dup15. Simply put, it's a duplication of the 15th chromosome. The length of the extra chromosome depicts the severity of the disability. Josie's extra is chromosome is short, so she is very high functioning. However, being a 14 year old, she performs in school at the level of a 1st grader. Now socially, she's all 14 year old. Talks back to us, plays tricks on us, fails miserably at delivering knock, knock jokes... Anyway, we bought her a nice little redwood playhouse when she was little, like 5 or so, which she quickly outgrew.

Our first playhouse coop....
20150926_173954.jpg
She played in it until she no longer fit into the door. That playhouse started the whole ball rolling, as anyone who has innocently started purchasing chickens knows. Josie was thrilled, but upset she couldn't get into the coop with them to be "the teacher". She then went on to explain to me what she meant by that.... " I want to be in the house with them so I can teach them school". That started the construction of coop V2.0. I knew no regular coop would do. I also knew the look I wanted but am not a planner when it comes to the creative process. I had been fortunate enough in my business that most of my landscape clients would just turned me loose and gave me artistic license in their yards. And with that, my dad, middle son Kaylor, and I began construction.....

20150926_173954.jpg

Construction begins on coop V2.0...
20160903_145631.jpg

20160918_111110.jpg

20160918_110948.jpg

Front...
20190620_195119.jpg

Back...
20190811_175635.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all! It's unfathomable to me that I am just now getting around to joining this page. We have only had chickens for 7 years, but with all the changes and curve balls life has thrown, it seems so much longer. I started our chicken journey originally to help my special needs daughter Josie learn responsibility, but it has blossomed into SO much more than I could have ever anticipated. Primarily because of my daughter, so I guess that's the place for my story here to start, with my daughter. Josie was born with a rare genetic chromosomal disorder called Isodicentric 15, more commonly known as Dup15. Simply put, it's a duplication of the 15th chromosome. The length of the extra chromosome depicts the severity of the disability. Josie's extra is chromosome is short, so she is very high functioning. However, being a 14 year old, she performs in school at the level of a 1st grader. Now socially, she's all 14 year old. Talks back to us, plays tricks on us, fails miserably at delivering knock, knock jokes... Anyway, we bought her a nice little redwood playhouse when she was little, like 5 or so, which she quickly outgrew.

View attachment 1889401 She played in it until she no longer fit into the door. That playhouse started the whole ball rolling, as anyone who has innocently started purchasing chickens knows. Josie was thrilled, but upset she couldn't get into the coop with them to be "the teacher". She then went on to explain to me what she meant by that.... " I want to be in the house with them so I can teach them school". That started the construction of coop V2.0. I knew no regular coop would do. I also knew the look I wanted but am not a planner when it comes to the creative process. I had been fortunate enough in my business that most of my landscape clients would just turned me loose and gave me artistic license in their yards. And with that, my dad, middle son Kaylor, and I began construction.....

View attachment 1889401

Construction begins on coop V2.0...
View attachment 1889538

View attachment 1889541

View attachment 1889540

Front...
View attachment 1889364

Back...
View attachment 1889560

Fantastic! That looks like it was plucked right from the pages of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Back
Top Bottom