A Cornish as a pet..

Chicken-Peep

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Hi everyone! I am new here on BYC and wanted to know some info on the Cornish Cross! In my lifetime I never thought I would have "pet chickens". Honestly, the only meat I would eat was chicken and turkey. After having my babies a few weeks, I couldn't eat it anymore! I learned one of the rescues' is a Cornish Cross (she was three times the size of the others at 3 weeks..). I heard they only live a few months?
hu.gif
I would like to have her for a couple years because she is my absolute favorite!
smile.png
The rest of the chickens are fantastic! But my Cornish is just the sweetest, prettiest, and silliest out of all of them. How can I make sure she has a nice long life? She weighs about 8 pounds and 14 weeks old and can still walk, fly (a little bit), and jump. It's kind of embarrassing to say this..., but sometimes I just cry when I think of her passing so early from leg problems or heart problems! I just want her to feel strong and healthy like the others!

-Chicken Peep-

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. I think limiting her access to feed would be important as well as making sure she's getting plenty of exercises.

I agree with Kevin565. Limit the food and provide exercise. Some months ago I read a post on BYC about a guy who had done a rehabilitation project on a Cornish X....changed its diet, gave it exercise, and it did quite a turn around and became a more "typical" chicken. So, it is possible!

Thanks! She is allowed to free range for a few hours and is doing pretty well for now, I'm really hoping she can live for a long time!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom