A coulpe of thoughts.

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by houndit, Oct 24, 2009.

1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I know that this is backyard CHICKENS. But, would it be possible to also create breed pages for turkeys, ducks, geese etc.? The focus is chickens but I think that a lot of us have other types of poultry as well. I personally find some ducks more economical than chickens. Some types of poultry are much more enjoyable than chickens. There seems to be a prejudice against things like eating goose and duck eggs. Maybe we could educate people about the value of these other animals.

Also, what can we do to help the other sites take off? I mean of course theeasygarden backyardherds and sufficient self. I really like these sites. They just need more knowledgeable people. I know it would be hard as much time as you already put into byc. I am on here so much it is difficult to go to the other sites to often. Especially when I am working on the breeders list. I know with all you do it would be hard. But if possible I would really like to see them get more publicity.

Any ideas?
    Thank you for all you do for this site and for answering all my questions!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:Yes, I would also like breed pages for turkeys, ducks, quail, geese- maybe the species listed under the Other Backyard Poultry section, I'm thinking about ducks, don't know what breed is ideal for me, so to help prevent the same questions coming up on the forum, then simply look at the breed pages for ducks, turkeys or whatever species you are looking at.

I dont know how to get the other site to takeoff, but when there is a will, there is a way!!

[​IMG]

Iain

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That would be great! I would love that!

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great discussion houndit, thanks for bringing it up!

Regarding other fowl: We need to obviously be careful that we don't try to be all things to all fowl or put too many resources into the "wrong" areas. With that said, there definitely can be ways that we can support the help and information of other fowl without detracting from our purpose. For example, we've been discussing the idea of creating a breeds system for other fowl. Basically the same thing we have for chickens, but for ducks, geese, etc. It is a bit of work and we'd want to make sure that there are enough people interested AND people willing to create the pages with pictures before we put in the time and money to develop this system.

Regarding the sister sites: We've been very impressed with how the other sites have been growing, but there is always room for improvement. The best things to do to promote the other sites:

1) Tell people
    2) Link to the sites from your blogs and websites (this not only helps when people visit your site, but when search engines see that more people link to a site they bump the site up in the search results... which is where the HUGE majority of our new users come from).

Keep the ideas and feedback coming! It is the smart and helpful people like you that help us help you and others!

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Thank you for the comments! I will be glad to make pages for other types of poultry as soon as I have a digital camera to post pictures. I would be glad to make a page for chickens as well, but I think that all the breeds I raise already have a page.

I do not have a website but will try to tell everyone I can about the other sites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by