A couple feed questions?

I feed mine the starter/grower until they lay the first egg then they are switched to layer. I am not sure if this is the perfect thing to do but its worked for our hens and I. lol

Feeding was so confusing to us! Every bag we read gave us conflicting info! We went from starter to layer at about 8 weeks, and then we switched to flock raiser. They eat it better, and it has more protein, It might not be good for some of the other BYCers, but it works for us. We have a big bird breed and they started eating feathers and each other. The flock raiser has helped with that problem. Good luck wading through this!
smile.png

I forget what the correct time is but it's something like three months or so that you stop feeding them the starter feed. You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to feed them the chick starter feed up to the point they start laying cause the chick feed has antibiotics or something that the chickens need to get out of its system before you start eating the eggs. Ask them at your feed store. If the staff at your feed store can't answer that question I would find a feed store where they can and trade with them.

Thanks, I know on the bag it says at 10 weeks to change to grower and thats just three weeks away! I was just wondering if it is too early to start them on that now? I have to go buy feed today and dont want a half bag of starter leftover.
Martin

I've read that most people switch from starter to layer around 18 weeks or their first egg. I switched at around 8 weeks and added extra protein in the treats I gave them. I agree with PhilErvin about making sure you don't give them medicated starter right up until egg laying. If you're giving them medicated starter, consider switching them to non-medicated starter soon and then making the switch to layer feed when you feel it is the right time. Keep following this thread as many people will have different options for you to consider.

Quote:
M to the Maxx posted something around December about all of the different Purina feeds for chickens, and there were some great comments on it. That is what convinced us to just use flock raiser for our situation. Try doing a search for Purina feeds, or ...gee, this is why I am of little help to people, my brain does not do search words well. Let me give it a try and see if I can find the link.
The flock raiser is crumbly like the chick starter, and it will mix into what you have left over well.
I will try to find that for you.

I can not find it, sorry. I'll start putting great stuff like that in my fav folder and make it easier to share.
smile.png

Last edited:
Save yourself the headache and find yourself a starter/ grower or a gamebird feed either one will work and feed it from day one to point of lay (when they start laying) then switch to a layer...
Or do what a lot of people are doing and feed starter/ grower or gamebird feed there whole life. All you have to do is put out oyster shells when they start to lay..

Chris

Read the tag of your starter feed bag. If it contains only Amprol (Amprolium) as the active ingredient you can safely feed it all the way until the first egg if you want to. Or if after eight weeks you can go to a general purpose poultry feed such as Purina Flock Raiser.

Once they begin to lay then switch them to a layer ration or provide free choice oyster shell on the side.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom