A couple of ??? about Orpingtons...

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
I've got some questions about Orpingtons that I hope someone can answer.

Is there any difference in the temperment of Buff Orps and BBS Orps?

Do the roos also have the good temperment?

Do the roos make good guardians/protectors of their flocks?

Thanks for the feedback,
Ed

I hope I can answer something that will help. I love my buff orps...their temperment is wonderful, so lovable and friendly. I wish I had more them.
For the roos.......each is so different, hand raised and handled...more likely to be friendly. But they will be good protectors of your flock and that's when you'll see them being protective and more aggressive.

Quote:
All of your questions can be answered with the same word: Maybe.
Its like that with chickens. Some people will love them, others will tell you a horror story. Someone will also tell you that you can never be sure because each bird, and even flock, is different. They will be closest to the truth.

I always liked the BO's I had. They were calm and made good yard birds. But several of the hens would wake the dead with their screeching and the cocks were no slouches, either.

Just get em and enjoy.

I have both BO's and BBS orpingtons. I also have white. I find the BO's are friendlier than the BBS Like Davroo said each bird is different. I have the most aggressive white roo that you could imagine. I hand raised him and held him alot when he was young but, he will attack the side of the run when you walk by,follow every move you make when you are near his pen and forget trying to go inside the coop with protection He will flog you in a heartbeat. But he protects his girls like no one else. Thats the only reason I put up with him. Thats not to say if I find a kinder gentler roo I won't change I will. My grandchildren know not to go into that coop They aren't afraid of him but I have taught them to respect him. You will have to decide for yourself what you are looking for in a rooster.

I don't have a roo, but I just got 3 buff orpington pullets-6 mos old and they are fantastic. They are so loveable and really like people. They come over to me and turn their heads like they are really listening to what I'm saying, it's so funny.

Generally, it seems my BBS Orps start out more skittish than the Buff Orps, but that varies a bit. The BBS Orp girls protest loudly when picked up and struggle; the Buff Orps are fine with it. Why a color makes a difference in temperament, I really dont know, but it does seem to.

Both my Buff Orp Roos are standoffish, not mean just not loving.
Both my Blue and Splash Roos are sweet.
hu.gif
The Hens are opposite, Buffs are sweet Blues more skittish.

Thanks everybody for your responses. These will be my first chickens and I'll be incubating eggs. A wee little granddaughter is in the equation here thus my curiosity about the difference in the buff and bbs personalities. I understand that birds temperments can vary from bird to bird, but really was curious as to which of these orps tended to be the tamer/gentler/more docile ones. Looks that the buffs have a slight edge over the bbs ones.

As for the roos, I somewhat understand their place in the flock as guardian and protector...I say "somewhat" because I realize I'll have to see for myself how they act. I don't want them to be pushovers and I want them to be good protectors of the flock, but there again I want maniacs, attacking anything that moves and doesn't wear feathers. Sounds like in general the roos will be what I'm looking for...somewhat docile, somewhat aloof, a looks after the flock. I realize each will be different...that's what a frying pan is far, right?
hmm.png

David... You mentioned the BO hens "screeching"....they sound off differently than other chickens do?? Gee...I've got a lot to learn.
tongue.png

I was heavily leaning to the BBS orps but feel myself going back the other direction.

One last wildcard shot here....I'm interested in egg production and understand that Australorps usually outproduce Buff Orps. In regards to temperment, are they as docile as BOs? They don't necessarily have to be cuddly or anything like that, but would they be mostly friendly around a child? There again....just wanting opinions being as I understand that chickens can be different from one bird to the next...

Thanks for all your time and help!!!
I'm getting closer!!!!
Ed

My first time with my own chickens ans I did research and found that BO are the better bread for "pet" friendly chicks. And so far they are. I have one that will climb up on my lap then jump to my shoulder then set on top my hat on my head. One will ride around on your shoulder one likes to be cuddled a few will tolerate being held but mostly they love thheir people and although a few are skiddish about being petted or held they wont refuse a worm from your hand. So out of 12 I have a whole set of different personalities but in general they are very loving and tame. (of course we handled hem and love on them from the day we got them so that helps too.)
As for a ROO I unfortunately dont have one all 12 of my girls turned out to be girls I think. So cant help on the roo part.
But I couldn't have picked better chickens for my initiation to chickens. My dd11 "plays' with them all the time too....

Back
Top Bottom