A couple questions

poniesforever

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
I have had chickens for 5 weeks now... these are my first chickens. I asked on here, how to keep my chickens from getting, mites, lice, and whatever else a chicken might get for bugs... and I was told to get Dietamaceous Earth (not sure if I spelled that right?). I did get some, and would like to put some in a small box to leave in the coop, and was also told I could spread it about, in nesting boxes, the shavings on the floor and so on. My question now is, at what age will it be safe to start putting it in for them? or is there any age limit..?? Some of my chicks are 5 weeks old while the others are 4 weeks old.

Another question I have... my 5 week old chicks, are Ameraucanas (or easter eggers, I have read they are one in the same, derived from Araucanas..?) So, Ameraucanas are pretty much just crosses of Araucana with any other breed of chicken... if I am understanding this correctly..? So they could be any breed mixed with Araucana. At least from what I have read, that is how I understand it at this point.
So here is a couple pictures of one of my Ameraucanas... which are suppose to be all pullets... I am surprised at her look... reminds me of an eagle, because of her head feathers turning white. I do see the penciling around them tho, is this what is called silver lace? It doesn't look like the rest of her body is going to turn that color. (she did have muffs and beard when she was little, but they hardly show now.) I am just curious of her coloring. She sort of looks like an Iowa Blue. I know I'll never really know. Just curious! Any thoughts??

An Easter Egger is a mixed breed of chicken that carries the ability to lay colored eggs (anything from blue, green, olive, pink etc) or pass on the gene in the case of a rooster. They can come from 2 EEs or an Ameraucana and a EE~ It could even come from two Ameraucanas (pure bred) but not meet the standard of an Ameraucana- anything from wrong feathering, coloring, leg color or comb. If you're not interested in breeding for sale or showing, then whether it is an Ameraucana or an EE is probably not important. I kind of fall into that category. I got a batch of chicks this week- 3 are EE for sure and 4 are from Ameraucana parents. Time will tell if they will lay blue eggs or meet the standard of being Ameraucanas. They will all provide me with a varied and colorful egg basket- which is egg-citing.
As to coloring- EEs come in all sorts of colors as do Ameraucanas. I have seen pics posted here of EEs like your "bald eagle". Congratulations on your new chickies, whatever other people call them- they are your babies- enjoy.

The history of Araucana and Ameraucana is somewhat disputed. True Araucana are rumpless and relatively rare and lay blue eggs. Ameraucana chickens actually have a breed standard which is easy to find online. You will only get true Ameraucanas from a breeder. EEs are strains of Ameraucanas that have been crossbred and do not meet the breed standard, especially for color. There is such a huge variety in EE color, there hasn't been much attempt at naming.

Very nice bird you have, and it looks like a pullet. The muffs and beard will grow back in a few weeks. Mine went through that naked stage, and I was a bit bummed at first, but it seems if the chicks have beards and muffs, the adults will also.

Sorry, don't know much about DE.

Best wishes!
frow.gif

edited for typo
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thank you both! Yes, I can see the confusion with the Araucana and Ameracauna breeds. Well, I ordered 4 Ameracauna pullets... along with a few other breeds... So far I am happy the variety of coloring in the Ameracaunas, assuming that is what they are. Either way, I didn't buy them for showing... just for backyard fun, and enjoyment! Oh, and eggs of course! At least one of my Ameracaunas, not only has beard and muff... but she looks to have 'tuffs'... they stick out more then the ones with the muffs. So I am tickled with that! She just happens to be the friendliest of them as well. :) I am just shocked at the coloring of this pullet pictured tho. Everytime I go to the coop, I can't help but stare at her. She isn't very freindly, but she is beautiful!

Now, if only I can find out when to put that Dietamaceous Earth in for them. I know its just a matter of when the right people see the thread.

Thanks for your help, I really am enjoying these chickens!

Thanks!! I will get it out there ASAP! Thanks so much, I love this forum, its so helpful!!!

I haven't found DE to be very effective. I ended up with an infestation of bugs and had to remove everything from the coop and de-bug. After reading many posts here on BYC, I decided 7 dust was the best course of action. I dusted everything and the birds, including newly hatched, day old chicks (I was afraid the bugs could kill them). It worked very well, no more bugs - I checked just yesterday.....

Okay... I'm confused... I was told Sevin or however thats is spelled, is poisnous... your talking about the stuff you can buy at a regular store like walmart, or hardware store ... right? I had read somewhere to use that... then when I asked on here about it, was told it was poison... so I am totally confused now! When did you use it on your birds? How long has it been since you dusted them with it..?

Well, it does have poison, that's how it kills the bugs...It's commonly used by BYC members.... I used it on 10 June of this year..

Don't get me wrong, I have DE available in 2 large rubber dishes, so they can bathe in it....it's a good preventive measure, but when you have a full blown infestation - it's obviously not working. People on here have also recommended Frontline for puppies, if you like that better. I've also used Ivermectin pour on for cattle, a drop at the base of the neck is good for external parasites....there are some options out there.....

Back
Top Bottom