A different nest box question

Laffindog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
A few weeks ago I posted that after quite some time, only one out of my five hens was laying and wondered if some chickens just never lay eggs in their lifetimes. Well, my girls have made up for lost time, it seems. Today I found four pretty little eggs. Such sweet little chickens.
celebrate.gif

My new question is this.....the eggs are all being laid in the same nest box, when there are five nest boxes available. One egg had a slight puncture but no liquid coming out, so I'm sure it's fine inside. Anyway, is there some way to entice them to lay their eggs in the other spaces so they're not so squished in the one?

Any insight is appreciated!

L

I have six in the coop, and at least six in the pole barn. They lay in one or the other nests in the pole barn, and all in the same one in the coop.

The only reason they change nests (and they all do it at the same time) is because, I think, they know I am taking the eggs. These are free range chooks all day, and it is like they are trying to trick me by laying in a different nest, lol.
roll.png

Cheri

If you can figure out how to get them to use different nest boxes you could make alot of $$$$ right here on BYC.
I have 4 nest boxes, plenty for 14 hens. Yet every morning one hen designates a box as THE box to use that day. It's like this years must have fashion accessory for women. All the hens want to use THE box, lest they be considered out of style.
If there's a hen that really can't wait any longer she'll choose another box or climb right in there with her sister.

Quote:
You still want to offer them a choice. I know first thing this morning every one of my boxes were being used and two girls were waiting their turns. Figure roughly one box for every four hens and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom