A dog and her chicks...

We have a 1 year old Great Pyrenees and he does good with our chicks. We never leave them unattended together but he is very intrigued by them and stands guard. He's great for scaring of the coyotes at night also.

Too cute :) well they're bred to be herd guardians, right? Ps. Pics of the pup!

I will try to get one of him with the chicks tomorrow! I didn't even think to get one. LOL! Yes they are bred to herd, only problem is he will try to herd his humans too. It is not so easy to stay on your feet with 100+ lbs of dog pushing you.

I will try to get one of him with the chicks tomorrow! I didn't even think to get one. LOL! Yes they are bred to herd, only problem is he will try to herd his humans too. It is not so easy to stay on your feet with 100+ lbs of dog pushing you.

They don't herd, they guard herds. He is a year old so expect the guarding behavior to get MUCH stronger over the next 2-3 years (that includes being a severe danger to trespassers/strangers and also possibly threatening you if you try to take his "stuff", all normal behavior for flock guardians). Sorry to lecture about livestock guardians but I don't want to see them on the banned breed lists.

I have an Anatolian and he is great with the chickens, only dog out of my six that I trust in the chicken pen.

Last edited:
I have a Doberman and a Bulldog who are chicken friendly. The only thing in danger is far as those 2 are concerned is their poop and feed.
We're still working on #3. He's a 3 month old Catahoula/Aussie mix. He's doing well, and knows to leave the birds alone, but he still gets a wild hair up his butt every now and then. He likes to speed through them and watch them scatter :p

Back
Top Bottom