A dog got in my coop & attacked. my chickens

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
My daughter came to. Visiit yesterday & brought her friends dog with her. (Wrriting on the wall) well the dog seemed okay, but I don't truust dogs I don't know. I no more said the words I don't want that dog in the backyard when I saw it under the chicken tractor going after the girlls. Me in my bathrobe & bare feet, under the tractor, in the mud, snow & chicken poop defending the chicken was quite an ordeal! The dog had the chicken in its mouth & I had the dogs snout in my hand & the chicken in my left hand while on my knees & elbows. I caused that dog some serious pain with my nails digging into its gums & it let go. My daughter took the dog & I took the chicken in the house. She promptly pecked me 3 times in my left eye, I am sure still traumatized by the ordeal. I put her in a box, in the dark with food, sugar water and some yogurt. I left her undisturrbed & dark & quiet through the night. This morrning she is okay & no injuries I can see. I gaave her aa BIG handful of meal worms & put her back ouside with the others & she is in the coop laying an egg & tellling her story to the others.

We got lucky, but my daughter learned a hard lesson about dogs. I had a couple of whiskeys to calm my nerves, but like the chicken, I am beat up. I realized I was barefoot in the ice & I have cuts & bruises on my feet & knees. After the storm we had here in WA and I had 2 trees hit the house & coop & ice from frozen branches everywhere made it all the more awful. Only cosmetic damage to the house & coop. Color me grateful!

Now we are expecting a huge wind storm! Challenges, you gotta have 'em! Thanks for listening!

You are a chicken HERO!! Good on you for getting in there and stopping the attack!
thumbsup.gif

I hope you got a chance to give that dog one swift kick in the butt.

Sorry for your injuries....I'm sure you're watching for infection.

I'm in Kirkland and I didn't hear about a wind storm (I admit I don't watch the news) and we had a couple trees go down and the ice broke one of my Rhodies in half. :( But we didn't lose power which is awesome because I have an incubator running and would have had to take the eggs and make haste.

Heal up and feel better!!

You are a chicken HERO!! Good on you for getting in there and stopping the attack!
thumbsup.gif

I hope you got a chance to give that dog one swift kick in the butt.

Sorry for your injuries....I'm sure you're watching for infection.

I'm in Kirkland and I didn't hear about a wind storm (I admit I don't watch the news) and we had a couple trees go down and the ice broke one of my Rhodies in half. :( But we didn't lose power which is awesome because I have an incubator running and would have had to take the eggs and make haste.

Heal up and feel better!!

ep.gif
it broke your chicken?????

I have to admit....My wife and I are laughing at your story! We mean well and we truly hope you and your chickens will be okay!
We laugh because we have had similar instances with our flock....fought with neighbors, shot a dogs, hawks, cats, coyotes and almost 2 neighbors kids! It's like I turn into THE HULK when something disrupts my flock! We can't believe the crazy things we do for our chickens and am glad to find that we are not alone! DEATH TO ALL CHICKEN VILLAINS!!!! LOL!

I have to admit....My wife and I are laughing at your story! We mean well and we truly hope you and your chickens will be okay!
We laugh because we have had similar instances with our flock....fought with neighbors, shot a dogs, hawks, cats, coyotes and almost 2 neighbors kids! It's like I turn into THE HULK when something disrupts my flock! We can't believe the crazy things we do for our chickens and am glad to find that we are not alone! DEATH TO ALL CHICKEN VILLAINS!!!! LOL!

lau.gif

Since I work graveyard shift I wake up around 1:30pm in the afternoon and all of this happened about 2:00pm. So picture me with an Edward Scissorhand hair-do with my tattered bathrobe flying behind me as I run through the yard like Starsky and Hutch yelling and sliding under the chicken coop like I am coming into home base! I haven't checked YouTube yet, but I am sure my neighbors got an eyefull! I had the dog by the throat and I bit the dog in the face and then pinned it to the ground.

The chicken is doing fine and even layed an egg. When the girls are happy, I am happy! Disrupting the flock means I open up a can of Whoop-*****!! My eye is fine and my feet are on the mend. They got cut and bruised from being barefoot. I am pretty mellow, but I can Hulk out too! LOL! Thank you to all and I am glad I was in the right place at the right time...

Seems to me the dog learned a lesson also. Even though it may be "natural" for a dog to do such, and your daughter gave it the chance by bringing it over, he best not mess with a mamas children. I hope it take months for him to get over the fingernail marks.

I bet you were a sight.
smile.png

What a ordeal. Would love to see that on video.
lau.gif
Only dogs that are taught not to bother chickens, or were raised around them can be trusted. I have a 130 lb. dog who wouldn't harm a fly, unless he thinks you are a threat to his human family. He goes in the back yard and the chickens run up to him. I have also seen one of my girls ride on his back. My little Dachshund is curious and occasionally gets a peck then retreats to the house. My neighbors dogs are another issue all together. My backyard is fenced in, but the girls will pitch over the fence to the front yard every now and then. His dog will chase them but he is slow. (Too many treats.) The girls pitch back over the fence when they see him coming. I don't think the dog would hurt them but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom