1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A drop off in production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sasquatch, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I have 10 gold sex link pullets which have wintered over quite well. But for the last 2 weeks they are driving me nuts. I am only getting 6-8 eggs per day. On Saturday I added a pan of oyster shell calcium, thinking that would return the lay rate. Yesterday I got 9 eggs and my hopes revived. Today, I only have 5.

These hens are right at one year old. They aren't losing feathers, so it can't be molt. Help!

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Did they molt over the winter?

Those egg numbers sound normal for this time of year, depending
    on the temp where you live.

3. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Could something be stressing them out? Maybe give them some kind of feed supplement.

4. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    My shock is that I was getting 9-10 a day through the coldest part of winter. It is now in the upper 30s and spring is coming.

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Are they free-ranging and hiding some eggs?
    Consider to check the beaks for signs of shell pieces or yolk. Maybe you do have an eggeater.

6. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    They are in a green house with a floor with straw spread on it. Day time tems are balmy (in the 70s).

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    My girls slowed down a bit for a couple weeks and then picked right back up.I'm sure they just needed a break.[​IMG]

8. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I got 5 yesterday and 8 today. 8 is acceptable, 5 is not.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine have been more up and down for a month or so, after laying well in the coldest weather. They do what they do, I guess.

10. WindcrestChickens

WindcrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sasquatch, mine are doing the EXACT same thing. I have 11, and I am getting about 6 eggs a day, where it used to be 9-10. This has been happening off and on over the winter.

I am basically thinking they are sick of the winter coop (in our barn) and are ready to get back out to their nicer digs. This weekend I am doing a big cleaning and clearing out, and the girls are heading back to their outside set up.

I also have at least 2 egg eaters. I caught them in the act yesterday morning. I almost flipped a lid....Watching them attack those beauties really ticked me off.

Not sure why they do that? Hmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by