A drop off in production

Sasquatch

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Idaho
I have 10 gold sex link pullets which have wintered over quite well. But for the last 2 weeks they are driving me nuts. I am only getting 6-8 eggs per day. On Saturday I added a pan of oyster shell calcium, thinking that would return the lay rate. Yesterday I got 9 eggs and my hopes revived. Today, I only have 5.

These hens are right at one year old. They aren't losing feathers, so it can't be molt. Help!

Did they molt over the winter?

Those egg numbers sound normal for this time of year, depending
on the temp where you live.

My shock is that I was getting 9-10 a day through the coldest part of winter. It is now in the upper 30s and spring is coming.

Are they free-ranging and hiding some eggs?
Consider to check the beaks for signs of shell pieces or yolk. Maybe you do have an eggeater.

They are in a green house with a floor with straw spread on it. Day time tems are balmy (in the 70s).

My girls slowed down a bit for a couple weeks and then picked right back up.I'm sure they just needed a break.
hu.gif

Mine have been more up and down for a month or so, after laying well in the coldest weather. They do what they do, I guess.

Sasquatch, mine are doing the EXACT same thing. I have 11, and I am getting about 6 eggs a day, where it used to be 9-10. This has been happening off and on over the winter.

I am basically thinking they are sick of the winter coop (in our barn) and are ready to get back out to their nicer digs. This weekend I am doing a big cleaning and clearing out, and the girls are heading back to their outside set up.

I also have at least 2 egg eaters. I caught them in the act yesterday morning. I almost flipped a lid....Watching them attack those beauties really ticked me off.

Not sure why they do that? Hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom