A duck bed for winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alexc844, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Alexc844

Alexc844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    My ducks have a large pen that provides adequate shelter, but with winter coming I wonder if I should get them some kind of bed that they can huddle in if it gets too cold? I was thinking a dog igloo or something like that? Am I overthinking it?

2. AimToMisbehave

AimToMisbehave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    I just set up a small temporary greenhouse inside my big pen yesterday, with the front door locked open. They had a x-large size dog house, but they never go in it (until I put their food dispenser in there, but even then only long enough to eat). I figure the greenhouse will block rain or snow and most of the wind, but not be so enclosed/dark that they don't want to be in it.

3. Alexc844

Alexc844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Where they stay now is a large shed converted into a pen, with two ventilated doors. There is just no insulation, so it is them same temp inside as it is outside. I just want to make sure they don't need something in addition to stay comfortable.

4. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I have a dogloo for my girls. They use it when they want to. But most if the time they either bed down outside under the tall green plants or snooze rear-to-rear on the pond ramp.

They seem to love the dogloo. I hope they use it for laying and when it is really cold this winter.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by