1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A duck found us. Chicken friendly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hopp2it, Feb 4, 2014.

1. hopp2it

hopp2it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    I posted this on the duck forum so it is cross-posted hoping to get the most responses! I feel bad for this little girl!

A few days ago amid below to just about freezing temps a black duck found her way to our yard. She was timid at first but has recently let me pick her up and pet her without much a fuss. She wasn't afraid of my kids or my husband on his atv. We have given her some food, water, and straw to nest in under our porch which seems to be where she likes hiding out. I called a couple of our neighbors who also have farm animals and no one has claimed her.

We feel she is someone's domestic duck who got out/got an itch to fly and can't get back home. She has no bands on her to identify her. Is it possible we can put her in the pen with our chickens where there is covered nesting for her at night and a water supply she can share? I do not want her to go into the coop/run but just the fenced in area of our yard. We have 7 hens of varying breeds all under 2 years old.

Almost forgot to include she does not seem injured at all. Her legs work fine and she flaps her wings just fine to readjust her feathers after I hold her.

Thanks for any advice.

Dia

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    If she is healthy and the chickens accept her all will be fine; we co-habitat geese, turkeys and guinea fowl which attracted a pair of wild ducks and not many complaint are heard. ;)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You might want to think about medical quarantine before putting the duck in contact with your flock.

Ducks need water deep enough to keep their nostrils clean...and that can be messy in a chicken coop.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by