A duck with two heads............

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Graceful Acres, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Graceful Acres

Graceful Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Georgia
    looks that way ! Here's my two Pekins lounging outside. While I was cleaning their house this morning, they escaped. For 3 hours , they stayed right near their house. It was not easy herding them back in. In fact, I had to get a relative to come help me. I probably would still be chasing them. Going tonight to look for some sort of long handled net. Hope that works the next time.

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you tried peas?

By the way . . . nice photo!

3. DuckLover3

DuckLover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Marlborough, CT
    I don't think a net is a good idea.....Their feet could get stuck in the netting and it could break them, or while they're struggling they could also get caught on the net and get hurt. Did they fly out of their enclosure and get out? If so, to prevent that in the future, you can clip their wings. It sounds really bad, but it's actually quite simple and better in the long run than having to catch them every few days; once they get out once they're going to want to get out again. This is a good website that teaches you how to do it if that's what you'd like to do: http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/clipping-duck-and-goose-wings-to.html

Good luck!

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I use a pool strainer to herd mine back in. Ya know the kind that you take dirt out of a pool with. Just an idea for ya!

Great pic BTW.

5. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem... If it wasnt for someone else being around they just dont get the -There is the doorway, go in it!!!- idea they seem to go up to it and run away... But really good pic!! They look fluffly still xD

6. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Mine go "home" to the sound of mealworms rattling in a bucket. They are creatures of habit to the extent that after a week of "training", they only need to see the bucket and run home in anticipation of mealworm-bobbing in their run.

7. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I call mine in to the barn for the fist week their fed grain for a reward then They keep coming in to the sound of my voice.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Food is a great motivator, I also started whistling, when I do they all come running, ducks, chickens, goose and even my dogs. lol

9. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish mine would do something like that.. I think i got the 2 of the batch that arent like the others >.> The runners come right to the door and go right in but of couse the pekins just have to ruine the system LOL. I love them though, and their super soft :)

10. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    It is something you can train into them. Mine come to me when I go out to see them because I give them daily treats (the ducks like greens so it helps suppliment their feed, the chickens love most other fruits and vegetables). I acquired them as adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by