A Dummies Guide to Shipping Birds

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I have shipped eggs and sold live birds locally, but have never tried shipping a mature bird. I can't seem to find much info other than "use a PO approved box". Can someone please give me step by step instructions on what I need to do to ship a live chicken across country?

Mods- I have no idea where to post this. Could you move it please to the most applicable forum?

Thanks!
smile.png

just put some shavings in the box and some veggies like a can of whole kernel corn.....add bird and take to the post office in the morning...Mon - Wed will be best. Not much to it.

Quote:
You have to be NPIP certified to ship live birds out of state and possiblely tested for AI depending on your state.

Really? That stinks.
Everyone that ships birds is NPIP?
hmm.png

Hey here in TN it's real easy to get NPIP-I know your birds are fine we had them tested!! Just call your local ag office and they send someone out.A 90 day test is free or one that is good for a year is $25 You are ok to ship as soon as he gives you the temporary paper and eventually you get the paperwork in the mail.
The guy that came out here gave the kids tons of stuff while he was here-color books and all kinds of fun chicken stuff.

Awesome! That sounds easy enough.

Thanks, y'all!

Hijack- How are those two doing anyway? Any eggs from the pullet yet? All four of mine in that pen are laying, so I know her sister has started up.
fl.gif

Quote:
You have to be NPIP certified to ship live birds out of state and possiblely tested for AI depending on your state.

Really? That stinks.
Everyone that ships birds is NPIP?
hmm.png

Yes, either that or they are criminals.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom