A fastener or bracket to attach cattle panel to door frame

Make sure to post pics. It's always an exciting day when the birds first get to enjoy all the hard work you put in for them .

Ooooooh thanks for the encouragement! Here's a pic from yesterday while I worked on it with the brooder nearby!

Sunday, a friend came over and helped me with the last of the hardware cloth and tarp. I am using a 14 x 12 food tarp and decided having a tarp that doesn't come all the way down on the one side would be good for airflow. Plus, the side that isn't completely covered is next to the fence so that mind help keep most rain out (like rain with wind). For the front, I'm considering adding a clear plastic roofing panel that would overhand a bit to keep rain out and to act like a skylight to allow more sunlight. Right now, the goal is just get it safe to leave the chicks out of the brooder. For the past two nights they slept in their brooder with a hardware cloth lid over them with the brooder in the hoop coop!

I was going to use wood chips and try deep litter for the first time but after using wood chips in the brooder I have decided to use sand. I'm in FL, it's hot and humid, and I think the deep litter will just be too wet and smell. I'd still like to try it one day but I'm not on a farm, they are in a yard, and I want to control odor as much a possible. I am lovin it so much both mornings I woke 45 min before my alarm to go check on them!

On Sunday, they just enjoyed perching on the edge of the brooder. They were reluctant to leave their home! Ha!

But by Monday they were up to exploring. I thought this was a cute pic with almost all their tails up. 8}

Nice!
Good job....you'll just have to monitor temps and rain infiltration to see if the tarp needs to be adjusted.
With coops and chickens (and anything in life) no matter how well planned, there are almost always adjustments.
Have Fun!

Nice!
Good job....you'll just have to monitor temps and rain infiltration to see if the tarp needs to be adjusted.
With coops and chickens (and anything in life) no matter how well planned, there are almost always adjustments.
Have Fun!

I am having sooo much fun. Thank you! I was just talking to a friend about this. She helped me with the hoop coop and is learning about chickens. She asked me the other day, "is it done?" And I said, I think I'll get to a point, maybe in a month or so where I feel like it's good but from there, I'll always be changing and adjusting. Just like a regular home. 8}

Back
Top Bottom