A feather plucking bully in the henhouse [HELP!]

chickenlickn

Hatching
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Hi Backyard Chicken Folks!

We have a problem with one hen and I'm posting to ask for help!

We have 5 mature hens.
2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Golden Lace Wyandotte and an ISA Brown.
The most dominant hen is one of the Speckled Sussex's, and this bird is plucking feathers of others with the exception of one [ISA Brown]. The two Wyandottes are the lowest in the pecking order and have large bare patches where their rear back feathers have been plucked. NOW the other Sussex is showing signs of being plucked as well.

As I stated, the plucking of other birds is being caused by one bird. Of this I'm certain.
My question is, should we get rid of that bird for the protection of the others? We have just gotten some additional pullets to add to the flock and I don't want this happen to them as well.

The they have plenty of indoor space 6' x 6' plus roosts and overhead nesting boxes so I really don't think it's an issue of overcrowding. They also have a 12' x 12' outdoor enclosure they can access and in the better weather [We live in Michigan] they are free-ranging about the property. But this has been a long winter and they have only recently been able to get outside.

I'd love to hear from others who have experienced the same and possible remedies???

Thanks!!
David
smile.png

You can see the coop by clicking on my other post

Last edited:
Feather picking is an insidious problem. I began a thread ("I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking") on it awhile back, and if I had gotten rid of all the feather pickers between then and now, I'd have few chickens left.

Coincidentally, all four of my Sussex are incorrigible feather pickers, and are all sporting pinless peepers. Two of these are overcoming the peepers, and I'm considering installing Bumpa-bits on them. This is a device that prevents the beak from closing down all the way, but I've had those overcome, also.

In other words, nothing works as a lasting solution for feather picking other than getting rid of the chickens.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but this topic has been explored extensively on the thread I mention, and it so happens it's currently active on this page or, maybe page two, by now. There are short term solutions, but feather pickers always resume feather picking after awhile.

And, no, no one has found what causes it.

I read that the reason they pluck feathers off each other is that they need more salt in their diet I am doing this right now you put one tablespoon of water per gallon of water and ALWAYS have fresh water available and provide treats such as scratch grain ect as a distraction if they continue doing this I bought come pick no more lotion and it says for cannibalism which is what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom