A few chicken rooster questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickinnlady16, Jul 25, 2016.

1. chickinnlady16

chickinnlady16 New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    Easthampton, ny
    Hi all,
    My name is Carla and I am the proud owner of 8 chickens. Well, actually 7 hens and 1 rooster who is learning to crow. My dad got them in may. So they are 2.5 months now. My question is now that we discovered the rooster how soon will they start mating? B/c we just want to have eggs and not more chicks. 8 is enough! Thanks, any help with this would be great!
    Carla

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi, Carla...welcome to BYC. Great to have you here! You won't need to worry about having more baby chicks, even with a rooster around, as long as you collect the eggs and don't let a broody hen incubate them. Eggs that are laid that have been made fertile by the hen mating with a rooster still have the same taste, texture, and appearance. You won't have to worry about cracking one open and getting a surprise....it will be be a regular old egg as long as you collect them. Hens have to sit on eggs a few weeks to have them develop and hatch. Now, in terms of the rooster wanting to start mating with then hens...that could start up at any time..but your hens, depending upon breed, won't lay until they are 5-6 months old. So, a rooster can be a good addition to the hen house. He can maintain order among squabbling hens and they have been known to be a sort of protector as well. If you lose any hens, however, there is the danger of the hens being overbred...you'll start to see missing feather patches on their backs. If and until that happens, maybe you want to keep him around. Hearing a crowing rooster sometimes makes my day! Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Carla and welcome to BYC. Your little boy will not begin mating with your girls for a few months yet. Regardless, unless you leave a hen to sit on eggs (once she is broody) you will never have chicks. If you do not wish to breed chicks, then you may wish to consider selling / donating your cockerel - they can be more trouble than they are worth, particularly through adolescence.

Ct

Sorry, I did not see the notification that Redsoxs had posted - I'm not going crazy, honest! :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Like the others said. As long as you don't let them set or don't incubate yourself you won't have any chicks. And Welcome to BYC!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Carla

Glad you could join the flock! You have some great advice above do I will just wish you the very best of luck with your birds in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Carla, hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

1 person likes this.
  7. chickinnlady16

chickinnlady16 New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    Easthampton, ny
    Thanks guys,
    I will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice. I am new to this. I have pictures of them that I would love to show you. If I only knew how. Night all!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. chickinnlady16

chickinnlady16 New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    Easthampton, ny
    Thanks for having me. Such an informative website! Its going to really help me with my 8 chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by