A few chicken rooster questions

chickinnlady16

Hatching
Jul 22, 2016
Easthampton, ny
Hi all,
My name is Carla and I am the proud owner of 8 chickens. Well, actually 7 hens and 1 rooster who is learning to crow. My dad got them in may. So they are 2.5 months now. My question is now that we discovered the rooster how soon will they start mating? B/c we just want to have eggs and not more chicks. 8 is enough! Thanks, any help with this would be great!
Carla

Hi, Carla...welcome to BYC. Great to have you here! You won't need to worry about having more baby chicks, even with a rooster around, as long as you collect the eggs and don't let a broody hen incubate them. Eggs that are laid that have been made fertile by the hen mating with a rooster still have the same taste, texture, and appearance. You won't have to worry about cracking one open and getting a surprise....it will be be a regular old egg as long as you collect them. Hens have to sit on eggs a few weeks to have them develop and hatch. Now, in terms of the rooster wanting to start mating with then hens...that could start up at any time..but your hens, depending upon breed, won't lay until they are 5-6 months old. So, a rooster can be a good addition to the hen house. He can maintain order among squabbling hens and they have been known to be a sort of protector as well. If you lose any hens, however, there is the danger of the hens being overbred...you'll start to see missing feather patches on their backs. If and until that happens, maybe you want to keep him around. Hearing a crowing rooster sometimes makes my day! Good luck to you!

Hi Carla and welcome to BYC. Your little boy will not begin mating with your girls for a few months yet. Regardless, unless you leave a hen to sit on eggs (once she is broody) you will never have chicks. If you do not wish to breed chicks, then you may wish to consider selling / donating your cockerel - they can be more trouble than they are worth, particularly through adolescence.

Ct

Sorry, I did not see the notification that Redsoxs had posted - I'm not going crazy, honest! :)

Last edited:
Like the others said. As long as you don't let them set or don't incubate yourself you won't have any chicks. And Welcome to BYC!!!

Back
Top Bottom