A few duck questions

Quote:
You're welcome. If you're wondering why we left the hoop over the top middle it was useful in 2 ways, kept it from bulging out from the weight of the water, and gave a little shelter from prying eyes in the sky.
And take care of yourself, colds are just miserable!

Yeah, mine have been so bad I had sinus surgery a year ago. Kept me well till I picked my mom up for a visit last weekend. She was already sick and the 8 hour drive in my car together gave it to me a week later!

I'm feeling better tonight though and so is she.
smile.png

I had the same problem where I live. No one keeps their dogs up. County animal control doesn't do anything out here.
I fixed them really quick....livestock electric fence around the outside of my ducks yard. Only took one time for all the dogs to stop trying. The tomcats hanging around now have learned about the fence too.

There was a similar post about problem dogs. We talked about lots of ways to get rid of the dogs, but for your situation, I like this idea best. Somebody took hotdogs, and injected them with dog laxatives and hot sauce. When the dogs ate them, they went home and of course, made a huge mess. It didn't really hurt the dogs, but the owners Sure did get punished! Since you can't get rid of your neighbor's dogs, you could always give them a reason to keep their dogs away!

I have 3 adult cayugas and 5 ducklings I hatched in my bator, they are hardy ducks that originated in NY, it is very cold in the winter here and my ducks did great. They share a coop with my chickens but they are seperated by chicken wire and have their own space and nests. I love my ducks, they have a large fenced in area that they share with the chickens, 2 large rubber horse feed containers full of water and a kid pool that they love. Our outside water froze daily this past winter and was a pain but they really need fresh water everyday to clean their bodies in, it was hard work so keep that in mind, ducks need to be able to clean their feathers to keep warm which means they need access to water at all times. In my opinion they are worth all the winter work.
love.gif

Our ducks free range in the barn yard. The cats NEVER bother them. We often have cats and ducks napping togehter in the barn.

Our ducks never have bathing water in the winter. They do not need it. Ducks can live just fine without water to swim in. Of course they need clean drinking water at all times.

Back
Top Bottom