a few duck questions

you dont really want to know all that, but i'll tell you, the duck house is not that big, its divided with chicken wire and a door to the chicken part, ground stays wet and dont get changed till its really really gross, they used pine shaves, which is what i use, they fed him layer feed, for the out side part, they have a cemented platform with some straw thrown down and a tub of water to swim, a dog house to go in and out, its fenced in with dog kennel pannels, i think its a 8x10, i could be wrong i know its 2 pannels by 1 pannel
Quote:
You just got him yesterday? How were the living conditions he was in, what were the feeding him, what bedding were they useing, were they over crowded in a small pen?
Pecking and feathing eating could also be a symptom if he and others were housed in a small pen.

Once a feather eater always a feather eater.

I think he should be fine as long as he has clean bathing water everyday. I'm thinking the scabs is just from other ducks eating his feathers and picking on him (Chickens are very very bad with doing that.)
Congrats on your new duck! Lets hope his new feathers come in a month or so! He will be very pretty once he gets his colors!
smile.png

thank you, i forgot to mention his water for in the house, it was very dirty, full of black and green alge. that was the drinking water not the bathing water. i give him fresh food and water and clean the water containers, i dont have a pond outside now cause its too cold, in the spring im putting the pond in the back, its in the front right now. was my fish pond then i decided to get ducks lol. so for now he can swim in my bath tub till he wants to get out, am i right about his breed? mallard mix. he's like a medium size duck
Quote:

A mix or maybe even a Rouen. Hard to tell since he's getting new feathers.
They can change feather color drastically sometimes when they get new feathers from molting.

they said hes a mix but they didnt know with what. will handling him everyday help him get use to me and gain that connection or should i let him choose if he wants to be near me and like me?
Quote:

He doesnt really look much like a mix just a mallard but its hard to tell right now forsure. Alot of the breeds look pretty similar id expect he would be a little bigger of there was rouen in the mix but its possible he is still young. Mallard forsure though.

Quote:

Treats and daily handling should work, but this is all up to you!
smile.png

The reason I suggested Rouen is because if hes (according to the OP) a medium size duck already and is only 4 months old which means he's still growing!
wink.png

Mallards are bantams are only weigh 3-5 pounds if that.

thanks jay, i thought he looked like a mallard, he's def not small enough to be one of those little call ducks that are so cute and makes me want to snuggle with lol i so want one of those lol, but he's also not a big duck like those he was housed with. hopefully i find him someone to be housed with at the show.
Quote:

idk what a rouen looks like, i'll have to google it. do they have a green head like he does? i tried giving him bread he doesnt like it that much, but it could be cause it was me, his weight isnt that much, i can put him on the scale if he stays lol. where his feathers are growing in on his neck, he likes that scratched, but he hisses at me when i go near him but i ignore it and tell him its ok.
Quote:

Treats and daily handling should work, but this is all up to you!
smile.png

The reason I suggested Rouen is because if hes (according to the OP) a medium size duck already and is only 4 months old which means he's still growing!
wink.png

Mallards are bantams are only weigh 3-5 pounds if that.

Sound like he was in sad conditions is all. Im sure he will look and get better under your care, He may even become nicer.
smile.png
I doubt hes a roeun. Its like a big bodied mallard basically

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom