A few eggs pipped at wrong end!

akaruby

Songster
Mar 28, 2015
Southern Tier, NY
I have 3 eggs that have externally pipped the wrong end of the shell. One I can see its beak and the other two just pipped in the last hour. I've read about assisted hatching and I've helped chicks before with success. I'm worried about opening the bator when I have some many pips, humidity is between 67-74% the eggs membrane looks dry where I can see its beak. That egg pipped about 4pm today.

Do I wait until tomorrow morning to help? There are two chicks hatched and drying right now. Also it's only day 20. Should I make sure the other pipped eggs on the wrong end can breathe?

The best thing to do at the moment would be to wait. If the chicks pipped at the wrong end it means they skipped the usual internal pip stage, which normally lasts around 6-7 hours, or more in some cases. So they will need extra time before they'll be ready to complete the hatch. I would personally wait around 18-24 hours, before checking to see if they are ready to come out and if they need assistance. That is if they haven't made progress themselves by then, some do, depending on their position in the eggs.

Best of luck, keep the humidity up and keep us posted!

They all hatched. I just peeked last night to make sure they could breathe through the pip. I did help one free it's leg this morning but finished hatching by herself. This is my first time using a Janoel 24 incubator and its automatic turning but it seems pretty slight, could that be why they weren't positioned correctly?

They all hatched. I just peeked last night to make sure they could breathe through the pip. I did help one free it's leg this morning but finished hatching by herself. This is my first time using a Janoel 24 incubator and its automatic turning but it seems pretty slight, could that be why they weren't positioned correctly?
Congrats on the hatch!!

That's great news! Malpositions are often caused by incorrect positioning of the eggs, for example if you set them upside down, but it could also be a result of incorrect or inadequate turning of the eggs, eggs set from an old hen, incorrect humidity or temperature in the incubator, odd egg shape etc. There are so many factors to incubating!

Back
Top Bottom