A few more questions.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenmamakimberly, Aug 12, 2018.

1. chickenmamakimberly

chickenmamakimberly Chirping

Aug 6, 2018
    1.) I have a 12 foot run that is covered in hardware cloth. It is only 3 feet tall making it pain to get into. My FIL and I are raising the height so I can walk in and clean and enjoy my chicken babies. Is it safe to use chicken wire on the top portion? They are in the run until dusk and go into fort Knox at night.

2.) I am using DM to keep mites and lice away but have hear some negative reviews. What should I use for my pampered chicks?

Thanks!!!

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  2. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    I love DM but only for insect control on the ground and a bit sometimes in the feed

I recommend using regular fencing to make it higher

chickenmamakimberly likes this.
  3. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    If you have predators that can climb I wouldn't use chicken wire on the top.

igorsMistress likes this.
  4. chickenmamakimberly

Aug 6, 2018
    Here are some photos. Excuse the mess... We are just getting started. It will have tons of wood and two layers of chicken wire.

Attached Files:

5. chickenmamakimberly

Aug 6, 2018
    Here are some photos. Excuse the mess... We are just getting started. It will have tons of wood and two layers of chicken wire.

6. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    I find chicken wire to be extremely weak, it breaks down after a couple years and can also be sharp on the chickens

Just my experience I did regular fencing with 2 layers chicken wire on the bottom 3 ft up for extra protection and it's falling apart after 2 years and doesnt keep out skinny snakes

Now I use fencing and hardware cloth

7. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I would still use hardware cloth. Raccoons can rip that chicken wire in a blink.

8. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Forget chicken wire, the stuff is worthless, the last roll I got, the girls stuck their head through it, then pushed and right through the wire leaving a huge hole! It simply unwound,,,

chickenmamakimberly likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: