A few Muscovy questions

JeannieWish

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Co Mayo. Ireland
Hi again,

My female has started laying eggs. She's had 3 eggs in the last three days.
We've been taking the eggs away as we don't want her to have little ones yet.

My questions are.............

We want to let her have 2 or 3 little ones in July or August time, so that she can have them naturally when the weather is nice and warm.

Do we wait till there is a group of about 10 to 15 eggs and then take them away leaving 3 for her to sit on?

If we keep taking her eggs away daily will she just get fed up and stop laying eggs?

She layed her 3 eggs in the place where she sleeps at night, not out in the open field where she is all day. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help, I want to do this right x

My muscovy hens will all of a sudden disappear and I have to hunt for them. 1 started by not coming into the coop at night but I would see her during the day. Found her under a shed. She has been sitting for a couple of weeks. I am not sure if they will stop laying if you keep taking eggs. And they decide how many they want to sit on, not you.

Hi,
Thank you for replying.

My duck lays her eggs in the place where she sleeps.

I think it's too cold here in Ireland for her to have little chicks just yet. I thought maybe

July or August when it's warmer and she can do everything naturally.

Thanks again x

Hi,
Thank you for replying.

My duck lays her eggs in the place where she sleeps.

I think it's too cold here in Ireland for her to have little chicks just yet. I thought maybe

July or August when it's warmer and she can do everything naturally.

Thanks again x
Just keep taking her eggs and then when you feel the weather is better for hatching ducklings start leaving the eggs, Daily mark each egg she lays I use a permanent marker and start with #1, once she builds her clutch which can be from 5-20 eggs and she begins to sit 24/7 except for getting up to eat and drink and bath then you can go in and remove the eggs starting with the oldest till your happy with the number. With my Scovy's once they are in full brood mode it doesn't matter if they have 20 or 3 they are happy as long as they have eggs to sit on. That is great she is laying inside too Hopefully she'll keep that up. much safer for her and ducklings.

Last edited:
Yep, ML is right.. i had one crazy bird this spring try on chicken eggs!? My one flock free ranges so goes in the duck coop often i kept pulling eggs and was bit surprised to fine some chicken, that would have been a shock to her.
gig.gif

Anyways, trust me once a scovie gets the broody bug it's beyond impossible to thwart it, be grateful she's laying in the barn... safe place and you can observe progress. One of my older girls is leaving at dark and returning each AM we placing bets she has a nest somewhere? she's experienced and does this loads.

I have two right now who lay in the horses barn... yes, the horses are confused. I have one who lays on the roof of the ducks barn, i had one squeeze herself into an old mailbox... another who goes into the muck bucket by the chicken coop, another who tries to get into my one calls house after i set them in their day pen...

i could go on but you get it lol It cost me a duck too.. she went off brooding and one day never returned. I only hope it doesn't happen again but they are like a dog with a bone, probably the worst trait about them actually.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom