1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A few newbie questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andreanar, Oct 14, 2014.

1. andreanar

andreanar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    First off, does anyone look close to giving me an egg? They are all 21.5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What kind of comb do these girls have?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

None of them "Bok", they make this weird, loud sound like "Bruuuuuup". What is that? When will they Bok?

2. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    It's called a "Pea Comb"

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Eggs should be coming soon.....When you reach out to them, do any of the squat for you yet? That's a good sign.

4. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    When I reach for them, they move away usually, haha. The Marans look the most ready, to my inexperienced eye, but they are so skittish.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, the funny thing is, when they're real close to laying, they will do this very hard squat. Even if they're not real friendly, they'll do it. And you can touch them easily and even pick them right up. (It's like they're being submissive to the rooster so he can mate.) Some breeds to take longer.....I've had a Golden Buff (production hen) lay as early as 17 weeks, and some of the other, larger sized hens, like a Marans, might not start until 25 weeks. OH THE WAITING! LOL I was never good at waiting, but it'll seem like Christmas once you get those first eggs.

6. andreanar

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Ugh,I hate waiting! They free range all during the day and I want to keep them in the coop until they are laying in the nest boxes. But I am trying to wait until they are almost ready to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by