A few of my turkeys...

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I was out with my video camera today, the boys were all showing off. It was pretty gray and blah out there, but I pulled a few frames from the video to share.

This is my Regal Red tom, my favorite of them all...

And another picture, this is him again with my 2 White Holland toms in the background. The white turkey in the front is my almost 2 year old Broad Breasted White hen. I wanted the toms in the same picture to give a size comparison. She was a little fluffed up because it was a bit chilly, but not as fluffed as the toms displaying!

I just figured maybe I should put a few pictures up before you guys stated thinking I didn't really have turkeys
big_smile.png

Very nice !! Your in ND, what are you using for housing/coop for your Turkeys ... another cold climate future turkey keeper ?

Very nice !! Your in ND, what are you using for housing/coop for your Turkeys ... another cold climate future turkey keeper ?

As long as they can get out of the wind they do fine. One of my hens escaped last January (long story) and somehow survived the winter on her own, we got her back home in March. These guys are in just an uninsulated building made of wood, and for their run I got one of those temporary carport type things that come with a tarp for the top. I ditched the tarp and covered the whole thing with chicken wire. The chicken wire over the top has handled snow better than the poultry netting does in my experience. Most of the turkeys I have now are going through their third winter and have seen temps down to -38F. I don't use heat lamps for adult birds at all, to me the risk of fire isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom