a few questions about ducks/ducklings

I have 8 ducks n 1 drake in w my 28 chickens n 1 roo. There has never been any problems between the two. The ducks rate higher because they have comical personalities an herd very easily. Mine also started laying in December and haven't quit even w single digit temps. All the chickens went on strike! Lol. I've read that ducks, in general, are more heat n cold hardy than most breeds of chickens.

I've been looking at a lot of duck coops and ponds, and I've noticed nearly everyone have their ducks fenced in, so can ducks go free range, like chooks or do they have to be kept in a fenced area?

I've been looking at a lot of duck coops and ponds, and I've noticed nearly everyone have their ducks fenced in, so can ducks go free range, like chooks or do they have to be kept in a fenced area?

They can but as per usual there are caveats, free ranging is always a risk. I free rang my main flock, so they certainly can.
smile.png

i feed mine their main meal in the evening. so when i "chick, chick, chick" my chickens up, the ducks come a running in a single file line from the pasture or pond to get in the coop at night with the chickens. they usually lead the rest of the flock into the coop.

i have to go herd my ducks up every after noon cause i let my ducks free range until i can get my pigs moved so they can have a run

so do you have to make your ducks go into their coop at night or do they go in themselves

Some do, some don't however they all return to the fenced area that surrounds their barn by dusk. So we usually close the gate then, and by dark herd them into the barn, in warmer months i leave them out longer.

Back
Top Bottom