A few questions about guineas...

-Kiwi-

eepy thing =w=
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2020
your walls ;3
Hi! We've been looking in to getting some guinea keets, and I wanted to ask a few questions before making our final decision.

How much space do they need? We have 1.75 acres. The person we were going to get them room said they need at least five acres, but I just want to confirm.

Do they get along with other poultry? We have chickens, peafowl, and ducks they would be free ranging with.

Do they do well in cold? It gets only around 20-10 degrees F at coldest most winters here.

Anything else I should know? I want whats best for them and I don;t want to get them if they would be unhappy.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay close attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

If you brood the keets separately from other poultry and house your guineas by themselves, they can get along fine with other poultry. They need more personal space than do other poultry.

I have my guineas contained in an approximately 0.5 acre area. The do fly the fence from time to time but are easy for me to get them back in. It is only individuals that are under attack from the other guineas that tend to "escape".

It can and does get down to -30°F here. It has already been down to -10°F here. My guineas are doing fine. They have a secure coop that they can retreat to. They are extremely vulnerable to predators at night. I have trained my guineas to be herded into the coop every evening. I shut them in at night and let them out in the morning.

Hi! We've been looking in to getting some guinea keets, and I wanted to ask a few questions before making our final decision.

How much space do they need? We have 1.75 acres. The person we were going to get them room said they need at least five acres, but I just want to confirm.

Do they get along with other poultry? We have chickens, peafowl, and ducks they would be free ranging with.

Do they do well in cold? It gets only around 20-10 degrees F at coldest most winters here.

Anything else I should know? I want whats best for them and I don;t want to get them if they would be unhappy.

In the spring and summer my guineas roam over 30 acres of land. and they occasionally get on the road which is over 300 yards from the house. They will cover a lot of ground so I'm not sure that less than 2 acres would work very well. They don't like being confined to a pen so that's not a very good option for keeping them.

My guineas live with the chickens but I do have a large henhouse and plenty of room for all of them. Guineas can be bossy with the chickens when they are confined together in bad weather. Most of the time they go their separate ways when free ranging.

We've already had 9 below zero last week and they choose to stay inside when it's really cold. ;)

HI!:welcome
We have 20+ guineas and they do fine with other birds.
They are a bit loud when they see or hear an intruder though we like that because we had a wild dog wipe out more than half our flock.
They do like heat but do well in the cold.
They love to be able to free range although if you cant let them free range then a pretty good sized fenced in area would be fine. We have an electric fence to keep them in and to protect them from other animals. Guineas tend to what to wander but if you train them to yuor voice they should come when you call.
Yes but if you are looking in to getting them you should be prepared :caf

I HOPE THIS HELPED YOU

Back
Top Bottom