a few questions - duck eggs in lockdown

Pics

quackkquack__

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
North Coralina
Back again (lol) because I have a few questions.
I have 4 call duck eggs (4, 6, 7 and 8). 4 and 7 have been in lockdown since May 22nd (day 23) and 6 and 8 went into lockdown yesterday (day 26)
The following video is a video of egg 4 trying to internally pip. Both egg 4 and 7 have looked like that for about 4 days now, is it okay they are taking so long to internally pip?

Also, this is egg 7's air cell. Is this a saddled air cell? And will it hatch okay or will it need assisting? (I've had an egg with a saddled air cell before but it sadly didn't make it though I don't think it had anything to do with the air cell shape)
1716752465678.png
1716752475443.png

As for egg 6 and 8, this is what egg 6 looks like:
1716752493728.png
1716752501018.png

(Don't mind the toilet paper, lol, we took these pictures in the bathroom because it was dark)
I dunno how to describe it so I circled it but only egg 6 has this, the other eggs dont
1716752568470.png
1716752555374.png

It looks like a light yellow-ish color, is this normal or could it be the yolk? It's directly on top of the air cell.

And this is what egg 8 looks like for comparison
1716752613771.png
1716752619965.png

All the eggs have been active, rocking a lot, besides egg 8. I've only seen it rock one time (and I constantly check on them and play duckling noises lol) so I'm not sure about egg 8 though I did see some movement still when I candled. A little afraid it could be shrink wrapped.. should I assist or give it a day? I don't want to assist too early but I also don't want to assist too late.

So to narrow it down, I have 4 questions lol
1. Egg 4 and 7 have been trying to internally pip for 4 days now. Is it okay it's taking that long?
2. Does egg 7 have a saddled air cell and will it hatch okay or will it need assisting?
3. What is the light yellow-ish thing above egg 6's air cell? Is it the yolk and do I need to assist if so?
4. All eggs have had lots of movement but egg 8. Could it possibly be shrink wrapped and should I assist?

None of the ducklings have made internal pips yet but I think I already clarified that. Thank you!

Way to early to assist in my opinion . duck eggs require lots and lots of patience. Usually if they need help, they will stress peep and you can hear them. You might think about safety holes for those moving around. I usually don't help until day 29 unless I get the stress peeping. That said I'm not familiar with hatching calls. I understand they are more difficult.

Way to early to assist in my opinion . duck eggs require lots and lots of patience. Usually if they need help, they will stress peep and you can hear them. You might think about safety holes for those moving around. I usually don't help until day 29 unless I get the stress peeping. That said I'm not familiar with hatching calls. I understand they are more difficult.
Today is day 28 actually.
Egg 4 keeps rocking so much it's tilting the egg ToT
None of them have internally pipped (as far as I know, I did just wake up and have yet to check them) and from what I know, they don't peep until they have internally pipped so how would I know when to assist?
Since you said you usually wait until day 29, should I make some safety holes tomorrow to check if they are shrink wrapped/need help?

Oh my god just as I thought everything was gonna go downhill, egg 4 has internally pipped!! I don't hear any peeping yet but I can hear it chewing/yawning!! And I saw a little shadow beak moving around in the air cell!! I am so happy and so proud.
I assume egg 7 will be internally pipping soon since egg 4 has!!

Give the a tiny safety hole. I use the egg punch from my egg steamer. You need somebody that knows calls I have hatched domestic ducks. Maybe not quite A 100. But never a call. Wait wait wait and wait some more on the domestics. I'm close to Houston and we've had a lot of electrical problems. My last batch was day 32 because of inconsistent ELE tric. I've also had them come out at day 26. Have you increased your humidity?

Give the a tiny safety hole. I use the egg punch from my egg steamer. You need somebody that knows calls I have hatched domestic ducks. Maybe not quite A 100. But never a call. Wait wait wait and wait some more on the domestics. I'm close to Houston and we've had a lot of electrical problems. My last batch was day 32 because of inconsistent ELE tric. I've also had them come out at day 26. Have you increased your humidity?
Do you mean give them a tiny safety hole on day 29 even without an internal pip? I plan on giving egg 4 a safety hole after 24 hours since thats the only one that has internally pipped.

I have spoke to a few people that have calls but that was last year. Should I ping them?

Also I don't have the best incubator (plan on buying a new one soon before hatching anymore ducklings), don't even have the manual anymore, but it actually doesn't show us the humidity (though out of 11 eggs in my past batches, I've only lost 3) but I've been adding more water to keep the humidity up.

I give tiny safety holes when they star to shadow. I wouldn't do it unless you can see their little bills pushing. Holes I make are very tiny. If you can afford it, I highly recommend Brinsea they are pricy but I get much higher hatch rates. I call them set and forget it. My nurture right requires almost daily checking. And I'm lucky to get 75% hatch.

Back
Top Bottom