A few questions on quail

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello! In about two weeks I'm adopting 4 quail. A very sweet pair of bobwhites (a black looking colored one and a snowflake) and a pair of friendly blue scaled quail. I just have a few questions. Here's some info:
My aviary is 20 feet 6 inches by 14 feet.
I have two coops, one is 10 square feet the other is 18 square feet.
The scaled quail are a mated pair, and the bobwhites are a bonded pair (not sure if they're a male and female pair or not).
so here's my questions. Both pairs are coming from the same place.

1. Do I have enough room for two species to comfortably be together?

2. Are Bobwhites and Scaled Quail monogamous?

3. Do the coops have enough room in them? (There will be one for each pair).

4. Will the scaled quail or bobwhite quail try to crossbreed? If so is there some way to stop them?

5. Does the snowflake quail in this picture look like a male or female? They're about a year old.
6E48BF23-1AAD-4716-82B7-BF1D2F2FFAF3.jpeg

6. what coloration do you think the brown bobwhite is?

Thanks! :)

1. yes
2. Both yes
3. I think yes
4a.There is a possibility as those two species have been known to crossbreed
4b.Not sure
5. I think the white is a male by the brown stripes around the eyes
6. Looks like a cross between a Tennessee red and a blonde

1. yes
2. Both yes
3. I think yes
4a.There is a possibility as those two species have been known to crossbreed
4b.Not sure
5. I think the white is a male by the brown stripes around the eyes
6. Looks like a cross between a Tennessee red and a blonde
Thanks so much! This was very helpful. I'm hoping the white one is a female because the black one is a male, but if it's a male that'll be ok, I'll probably just have to get two more female bobwhites.
Thanks again! :)

Thanks so much! This was very helpful. I'm hoping the white one is a female because the black one is a male, but if it's a male that'll be ok, I'll probably just have to get two more female bobwhites.
Thanks again! :)
The snowflake is female. Here's a pic of both male and female.
lrpheasants-54_o.jpg

I think the dark one is a Tennessee Red? Hard to tell by that pic.

Oh ok, thanks! I'll probably ask the person with the quail whether it's male or female just to make sure.

Yeah the picture isn't that great... but that's kind of what I'm thinking to.
Here's a pic of a cock and a hen, Tennessee Red. The females will have a white bib.
ten-red007.jpg

Red's in general, are far more aggressive than other Bob variants. I could not run Reds with any other quail.
Bob's and Blues get along fine in a large pen. They will interbreed but they are not that viable. I had a few that interbreed and actually hatched but died either within hours or a week after hatching. I never have had one reach maturity, yet! The egg looked like a regular Bob egg, not a Blue's freckled egg, so the mating had to be a Bob hen x Blue cock. They would be sterile anyway, so it's a one time thing, the F1 generation will not be fertile, even the males won't be fertile...as is the case with some species, the males will be partially fertile.
The only way to not have any interbreeding is to keep them seperated in their own pens.
HTH

Here's a pic of a cock and a hen, Tennessee Red. The females will have a white bib.
View attachment 2581532

Red's in general, are far more aggressive than other Bob variants. I could not run Reds with any other quail.
Bob's and Blues get along fine in a large pen. They will interbreed but they are not that viable. I had a few that interbreed and actually hatched but died either within hours or a week after hatching. I never have had one reach maturity, yet! The egg looked like a regular Bob egg, not a Blue's freckled egg, so the mating had to be a Bob hen x Blue cock. They would be sterile anyway, so it's a one time thing, the F1 generation will not be fertile, even the males won't be fertile...as is the case with some species, the males will be partially fertile.
The only way to not have any interbreeding is to keep them seperated in their own pens.
HTH
oh, ok thank you. I thought I read that blue scale quail were monogamous though... if the blue scaled quail are a mated pair, would the female still let the bobwhite mate with her? If they'll definitely crossbreed though I'll probably just keep them in separate pens.

Back
Top Bottom