A few questions regarding 3 1/2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuntrychick, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have six 3 1/2-week old chicks. I've started adding a little grit to their feed & have already given them a few mealworms & they've caught the occasional bug since their pen/cage is outside.

At what age can I start giving them other treats like cucumbers & such? (cause I have a BUNCH of cucumbers from the garden)

What about poly vi sol or apple cider vinegar in their water? For now I've just been giving them plain water.

What about diatomaceous earth in their feed?

How often do I need to totally replace their shavings with fresh ones?

Do I already need to start letting them on the grass in a drop cage to get some grass & bugs?

What about dust bathing? Would it be ok to put a container of sand & diatomaceous earth in their pen to let them dustbathe in?

Sorry for all the questions...just want healthy, happy chicks. [​IMG]

2. wyomingleghorn

wyomingleghorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    great questions would like to see some opinions from the experianced chicken owners as i too am newbie

3. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    I would not give them a lot of cucumbers.
    Since their pen is outside are they getting any grass to scratch around in ?
    Plain water seems to be fine unless they are haing health issues.T
    he shavings need to be replaced frequently due to their soiling it ( ever see their toes when bedding is not cleaned out often enough, they get little poop balls on thier toes and it can lead to a huge range of problems besides being un sanitary and smelly.)
    Chickens seem to do better, grow faster and healthier if they are allowed grass and dirts to scratch in and dust bath.
    Just be careful with heat issues this time of the year.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I can give you a few answers..as I am also kind of new..I am on my second batch of chicks..my newest just turned 13 weeks and my first batch turned 6 months. I changed their shavings once weekly..but they were inside when they were in their brooder..you can change them as often as you think you need to..it is summer and dirty shavings attract flies..I clean mine almost daily..not all the shavings just the top and try to remove as much poop as possible and replace it with clean shavings but I fully clean them out monthly.As far as dustbathing...as soon as you see them trying to dustbathing in their shavings...they can have sand to dustbath in. I gave mine treats when they were about 3-4 weeks old..as long as they have grit they should be ok! At almost 4 weeks and it is warm out now..they should be ok out in the grass..I am betting they will LOVE it once they are done being scared of every single thing in the grass!! [​IMG]
    No worries about all the questions..this is the place to ask them and you will get many great answers!! I had so many questions and found answers to all of them..if there is one thing I learned from this forum..chicken people love to educate one another..thank goodness!! Enjoy your chickens this is the fun stage they start to love the attention and are fo much fun!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    What about a little diatomaceous earth in their feed & apple cider vinegar and/or poly vi sol in their water at this age?

Oh, & at what age can they start having a little scratch?

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good questions as I'm new to this also- six chicks at 2 1/2 weeks old.
    This is the second time or so I've heard about apple cider viegar and poly vi sol. What are the benefits of giving them to the chickens?
    (I do use apple cider vinegar for my dogs, as it has many benfits for them.)

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I give them scratch when they can eat the pieces and they get grit when they get the scratch.
    I only do vinegar when it is hot out as it helps to rehydrate them.
    I change the bedding every few days but they are close to the house so we smell everything.
    I give them something to dust bathe in when they are about 3-4 weeks old or when they start trying to bathe in the shavings. You could give them a bowl of dirt or just watch them outside. I wouldn't do DE and sand because the DE will just powder up and get caked on, regular sandy dirt works great. I don't feed DE and I have not had a problem with parasites, I do keep the food dishes clean and keep the feed indoors and sealed.
    Cucumbers are fine they will only eat it if they like it, and in general they only eat was it is okay for them (except Styrofoam)

Good luck and it sounds like you will (and do) have very healthy chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by