A few questions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennn27, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    So, a friend of mine wants fertilized ducks eggs, and I volunteered as we have a male and female. So, what's the best way to candle the eggs? I mean, I can set out a few eggs or so in a bowl on the counter (dated, of course) and candle them in about a week, right? She has an incubator, but I don't have one yet. When is the best time to candle...time frame, that is? Thanks!

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Most people candle on day 7,11, and the day before lock down but it doesn't really matter when you candle them as long as you aren't doing it too often.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you have never candled before sometimes it is better to do it at 2 weeks so you it is easier to know what you are looking for. But duck eggs (if they are white) tend to be pretty easy to candle since they are larger and rather translusent when you shine the light through them. I like to use mini-maglight flashlights (I take the plastic liner by the bulb out so the eggs are more cupped by the flashlight).

4. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Yes, they are white, thank you!

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Like others said, many people do their first candling at 1 week after putting them in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by