A few questions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blackswamp, Mar 13, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Working on my coop now & have a few questions?

1. Is it ok to paint the inside? If so what kind of paint should I use?

2. What are you using on the floor to protect it?

3. What size should I make the chicken door?

4. My coop is 4x6 elevated with external nesting box's. I'm thinking mounting them about 10 inch's from the floor & is this ok?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Sure you can paint the inside. I used a "Porch and deck" paint from Lowes. I used white, it really reflects light and brightens up the coop.
    For the floor, I used a rubberized roof coat product (Blackjack #57) that I also got from Lowes. It totally seals the floor joints, plus the joint where the walls meet the floor. Nothing can get under it, as it becomes part of the floor and it doesn't deteriorate like vinyl or linoleum eventually does.
    My chicken door is 12X14", that seems to have worked out well here. I haven't had anybody get stuck.
    !0" would be a good height to have the nestboxes. That's about where they are in my coop. Just make sure the roosts are higher so they won't sleep in the boxes and fill them with crap.
    Jack

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I used left-over, latex, exterior paint from some long forgotten project to paint the interior walls.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by