A Few Quick Questions Before Setting Eggs

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello Everyone,

I finally got my Hovabator 1602N incubator w/ Auto Egg Turner!
jumpy.gif

I installed my version of "Turbofan" already. Running well and smoothly because I have (3) 60mm P/C fans! : )

A few quick questions before I put in the eggs Saturday morning. (I will let it run for 48 hours to be sure that the Temp. and Humidity will be stable).

1.) Humidity from day 1 - 18 should be 85-87% and 90% for last 3 days?

2.) Temp. should be 99.5-100.5 ish? I remembered reading somewhere that the "Turbofan" model needs less heat but mine isn't really STOCK turbofan so I think doing 99.5F should be Optimal, please correct me if im wrong.

3.) I have two "classic" thermometers in there right now both reads 101-102F about, but the digital version I just bought only reads 99F. Which one should I base on? There is about a 3F difference between the two glass therm. and the digital...thats what im most worried about right now...getting the more accurate temperature.

4.) My digital humidity gauge reads 62% right now but the "classic" coiled version "Kritterz" reptile humidity guage reads at @ 75%. Regardless, both are under the requirement for humidity right?

The manual says to only fill in the "A" section of the plastic tray and I did that but Hum. is still relatively low, now should I base humidity to just the tray limit or should I go off what other websites say?

Source: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm

I
look forwards in hearing from you!
big_smile.png

Thank You

- Tommy

Oh really?

Hummm...then that website is wrong then huh?

I didn't think the eggs would need that high of a HUMIDITY either...wow, im glad I asked : )

Thank You!

- Tommy

Tommy, the humidity you quoted is wet bulb..most folks using a styro don't go by wet bulb reading. Are you using a wet bulb or relative humdity reading?

For the temp. I would use the digital and get it to 100. Based on your hatch (if early, turn it down a half degree) (if late, turn it up a half degree).

I hope you are testing this with home eggs? That is the best way to test a new setup. Good luck to you.

Jody

Hello,

Wow, thanks for clarifying that with me! I would have been so off and disaster! Im so glad I asked now. Yeah, if we are talking relative, its right now 60-62% on the digital and I guess that is what im basing it off now. Its brand new so hopefully, its up to par : )

- Tommy

hinkjc,

I am going to use the eggs I have at home, but they are pretty precious TOO you see. Jungle Fowl and Onagadori Eggs on my first attemp.
YIKES!!!
ep.gif

Thats why I want to be extra careful...
fl.gif

For some reason, the Digital and "classic" thermometer is in sync now with each other. All three are reading 99.5-100.5 ish

Thats good right?

Oh, the humidity is 65%

I will let it stablelize until Sat. until I add in the eggs. 21 days so when the chicks hatch, it will be on a Sat. too! I will be home : )
There will be 15 Onagadori Eggs & 15 Jungle Fowl Eggs
jumpy.gif

- Tommy

Ok,

So if it reads 99.8 ish when I put the eggs in, it can go down to about 99 ish, but DON"T readjust anything...and should be back to norm?
It has been stable today...been at 99ish for 5-6 hours now. Around noon tomorrow...that will be 24 hours, and I can be safe to put the eggs in!

That sounds good. Thanks for the advice! : )

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom