A few random Q's

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
How do you clean the floor of poo?
When do you know it needs cleaning?
Is poo supposed to dry out and become rock hard?
Is bedding on the floor really needed?
Anything else I'm missing, I will add here later.
Thanks!

Quote:
One more quick thing. All this depends really on how long your chickens will be cooped up. My flock is only inside the coop to lay eggs and sleep from 9pm-8am. The rest of the time they are outside.

Mine have a run, but they rather stay indoors most of the time. I've seen a few come out for a couple of hours, then head back in. Not sure why they rather be inside...
hmm.png

One Roo still growing, lost the dominant Roo, he ran away with a Hen....
Three adult Hens I believe, 3 Pullets, 4-5 mid chicks and 3-4 tiny chicks.
So about 15 birds.

Inside area is roughly 7-8ft by 10-12ft. I haven't actually measured it, I should though, lol.
The run is netted and 5ft wide by 22ft long, roughly.

Our coop has vinyl flooring that I clean every day. It's really easy to do as the chickens roost and poop all night, then head out for the day. So in the morning I clean it and it stays clean for the day. I keep a dustpan in there, scrape up the poo and wipe the floor down with a damp rag. I got the vinyl free on freecycle.org and we just laid it down and secured it with wood trim. Once a week, I go in with cleanser and wash it down thoroughly. I don't bother with bedding because they don't 'bed' in there.
The run portion has sand in half, and shavings in the other half. Since they free range most of the day - clean up is minimal in there.
Here's the inside (the coop is 4x4 with 2 nesting boxes - we only have 4 chickens right now):
58060_011_3.jpg

Oh, I love how you have just plain flooring! I was starting to think I was the only one with that idea..
Anyone else have no bedding on the floor? Would love to see pictures!
Also, are pine shavings better than hay/dried grass as nest bedding? What's the best nest box fill in general?

I think the pine shavings are better for the floor if you are going to put something down. It is more absorbant (IMO) and doesn't mold like wet hay can. I also use DE mixed in with the shavings to help dry the poops, keep the smell down and help prevent lice and mites. Still check the chickens every so often to make sure they are not getting infested. I would comment on the nest filler but I am STILL WAITING for the first egg!
lol.png

I use sand in my coop as well as in the run. I use a reptile litter scoop which makes it ridiculously easy to lift out the poop leaving the sand behind. The sand also coats and dries out the wet cecal poops, eliminating the smell quickly.

We have "free ranging" doves in our bird room indoors. It's my daughter's job to go around and scrape and wash the dove droppings off the ceramic tile floor. My job outdoors in the chicken coop is so much easier than hers, even though I pick up after 9 chickens and she only has to contend with the poop from two doves.

Where would I buy the sand and how deep should it be?
Sand at Lowes/Home depot is cheap for Aquariums, but large scale, it can't be, right?

Back
Top Bottom