A fox (?) got one of my man chickens, and he just limped home.....

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
This morning, i heard a commotion in the chicken run, and hopped out of bed and ran outside... 2 roosters were missing (i keep the roosters separate from the pullets, cause they are eventually intended to be eaten). I was bummed, but as a vegetarian, i wasn't too sad to be spared the 2 slaughters... but anyway, the bigger one showed up about 10am, sort of confused looking, but i shooed him back into the run, and he seems okay... at 2pm, the other one showed up, walking sort of crooked, and dragging one bloody wing. I put him in a pet carrier, so the other chickens wouldn't eat him, and waited a while... if he looked worse, i was going to kill him, but if he looked the same or better, i was going to cure him... so he looks the same, walking, standing up, making little noises, honestly doesn't seem too mentally damaged... So, my question is this, How do i fix him? And since i don't exactly know what got him, if I DO fix him, can he be eaten later (rabies, infections, mad cow?)? Can i get some sort of (cheap) antibiotics for chickens? would medicated chick starter work?
HELP!
thanks!

Looks like they ganged up on whatever it was tried to eat them, and won!
smack.gif

What I've heard is keep them isolated, warm and dry, wash carefully and put neosporin on cuts...

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more specific advice.

Back
Top Bottom