A-Frame Chicken Run

To the OP I'm not sure what your intention is in terms of a coop. I love my A-Frame as a run only, but would not recommend making an A-Frame chicken coop. My small duck house is an A-Frame, but the ducks sleep on the ground and lay their eggs on the ground and I don't need to put food, water, nest boxes, or have roosting space in the duck house. It's really just a spot for them to get out of the weather when they feel like it, but would not be adequate for chickens.

It'll be a run only. I'm building up a coop later from a home depot blog that will be attached to the run. They're rapidly outgrowing the coop I bought.
That's next on the agenda.

Here's the link :) https://blog.homedepot.com/free-plans-for-an-awesome-chicken-coop/

The vast majority of the run is shaded most of the day, as it is almost right up against my garden shed/sewing room (It's a big shed). It also gets decent wind protection.
Good they have all day shade in your climate.

I'd think twice about that coop.... @jthornton built one and found some real problems with it. It's a nice looking design but small and hard to access. I love the looks of it but it needs to be scaled it up to be more functional.

How many birds are you planning on having?
There are 3 great articles all newbies should read before starting to plan their build,
they are linked in my signature below.

Might also want to look at these:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/61140572/?q=hot+weather+coops&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

The Home Depot coop says it holds 12 chickens, but at that size it should be an absolute max of 8. Do read through the threads and articles here, there is SO MUCH to learn and folks are so generous with their knowledge!

Here's the link :) https://blog.homedepot.com/free-plans-for-an-awesome-chicken-coop/

The vast majority of the run is shaded most of the day, as it is almost right up against my garden shed/sewing room (It's a big shed). It also gets decent wind protection.

I based my coop on that design and while it's cute it is a horrible coop. Only enough room for the chickens to roost in there at night and nothing else.

Build a walk in coop! I wish I knew then what I know now! Here is a photo of what you don't want to build.
coop07.jpg

After and endless series of modifications I ended up with this and it's a royal pain in the you know what to do anything inside the coop and even worse to try and clean under the coop.
coop17.jpg

and here is a photo of my shed that I'm converting 1/2 of it into a coop so the coop part will be 12' x 8'. No more crawling into and under a coop for me. Just got the LED lights connected to the coop controller yesterday. This time of year the lights come on at dawn and the door opens at sunrise.
12x16-coop-02.jpg

JT

The Home Depot coop says it holds 12 chickens, but at that size it should be an absolute max of 8. Do read through the threads and articles here, there is SO MUCH to learn and folks are so generous with their knowledge!

You could roost up to 12 chickens in that coop but that is all, no place for nesting or feed and water. I have 11' of roost in mine and it's 4' x 5' but again it's a terrible design like all the other designs you see on the web.

coop16.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom