1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A-Frame--Need Help with Angles

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CoyoteMagic, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I am completly construction illiterate. Trust me, if you have seen pics of my coop you would understand!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138461

I'm
    in need of help figuring ou the angles for the peak of an A-frame coop/tractor. I'm looking at building this to "swing set" height to give the 10 plenty of room for roosting and scratching but still being able to move this thing without a Semi-Truck!
    HELP!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    you can make the angle anything you want. the first thing is to determine the structure's "footprint" how wide, then how high. your angles will be determined by those figures.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

How about 8ft high by 8ft wide. It's going to be about 12 ft long

4. columbusguys

columbusguys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Columbus
    If you want it to be the same distance high and wide, then you have an equilateral triangle. That means all three angles will be 60 degrees. This is that ONE time geometry comes in handy![​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's 8' high in the center, the sides will be longer than 8', right?

64+16 = 80
    sqrt(80) = 8.9' = 8ft 11.25 in

... I think ...

ETA: b'cuz lumber comes in 8' lengths, I'd be more likely to build it with the sides 8' long so I didn't have to buy 10' boards and cut them all. Or I'd just use 10' lumber but then the thing would be getting kinda big.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
  7. BeardedChick

9.24??? What [​IMG]

A^2+b^2=c^2

8 squared + 4 squared = 80

square root of 80 is 8.94 for the sides

I even ran it on that site using the equilateral triangle and got the same #.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you are way overthinking this project.

buy 8ft 2x4 's..

take 3 of them and lay them on a flat surface in a triangle shape..

spread them to the maximum and clamp or nail them temporarily.

your height and width will be less than 8 ft. but it will still house 10 chickens quite well..

9. BeardedChick

Quote:That's what I did for my turkey tractor... It's triangle-ish enough. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by