A frame vs hoop for breeding pens

Bit dark and rainy like here currently? 😂

I'm just wanting something I could make multiple of that will keep them in good condition. I'm 5'1 and a half so it doesn't have to be super tall. I would like them to have access to greens but would rather they be secure, and like I said wanna be able to use automatic watering system and feeder. Metal waterers are the devil in my mind
:smack
Nah, just dark That stuff that rolled through Jackson over the last few hours isn't here until midmorning tommorow. At 5'1 you should be able to do an 8' wide arch and not feel like you need to duck your head.

Have you considered tractoring? Works best with flat ground - south end of your state.

Nah, just dark That stuff that rolled through Jackson over the last few hours isn't here until midmorning tommorow. At 5'1 you should be able to do an 8' wide arch and not feel like you need to duck your head.

Have you considered tractoring? Works best with flat ground - south end of your state.
We live on a "hill" (being from Oregon it pains me to call this road bump a hill) and with these birds I want to keep them pretty close-ish to the house for security. Our layers and my special mutts will probably get tractor like housing.

A very rough sketch concept in my head. Looking at it will redraw the side hatch, I am thinking a wire "front wall" of the sleeping area so I can still lock them up at night
20230201_204323.jpg

We live on a "hill" (being from Oregon it pains me to call this road bump a hill) and with these birds I want to keep them pretty close-ish to the house for security. Our layers and my special mutts will probably get tractor like housing.
I live on a "hill", too. Not far from the highest point in the state. My house is about 185' above mean sea level. Slope varies from about 0 to 17 degrees, but is mostly 4-11 degrees. Here, that's a hill. LOL

I live on a "hill", too. Not far from the highest point in the state. My house is about 185' above mean sea level. Slope varies from about 0 to 17 degrees, but is mostly 4-11 degrees. Here, that's a hill. LOL
It awesome in winter cuz all the rain washes into the ponds :gigto me it just feels like a nice soft incline.

or 3" of rainfall (last weekend?) over 2+ acres all tries to funnel down one 1/4 mile long, 25' wide sand and clay driveway??? Cut through my water bars - again. Going to be weeks with the shovel to fix, but I can't afford to grade, properly bed, and hardscape it. SO out with the shovel, digging drainage and rebuilding water bars. Its like a Gym Membership, only cheaper!

or 3" of rainfall (last weekend?) over 2+ acres all tries to funnel down one 1/4 mile long, 25' wide sand and clay driveway??? Cut through my water bars - again. Going to be weeks with the shovel to fix, but I can't afford to grade, properly bed, and hardscape it. SO out with the shovel, digging drainage and rebuilding water bars. Its like a Gym Membership, only cheaper!
My dad works at a steel mill so got slag last year finally to keep the driveway from washing :th use to get two feet stream paths and y'know a prius doesn't like that at all.

If your are not moving the hoop coops, (and if your ground isn't too sandy) T-Posts into the ground can really simplify the building process. I followed this idea from Blooie to build my hoop run.

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

I'm not sure what sizes you need for bantam brooder/breeder pens. I build this tractor as an isolation coop last summer.

As you can see the pen part flips up. There's a panel in the back that also flips open to add food/water (and nesting box, if needed). It has a roost bar 2' up. That is somewhat available by a third panel that can flip open - which is hard to notice as it's covered with the small tarp in the front. I could step over the side and climb under the cross bar to get inside, but that wasn't super fun.

IMG_20221010_101552_372.jpg

The slanted sides allow for lots of ventilation and keep out the rain. The tarps can be easily raised/lowered if it gets super hot. And, it's completely encased in hardware cloth (not floor) to prevent predators. Fox would check it out regularly. I'm pretty sure raccoons climbed all over it. Nothing ever got in.

IMG_20220910_181040_255.jpg

fox1.png

racoon1.png

Back
Top Bottom