A frame vs hoop for breeding pens

Domes all the way

20200125_192521.jpg
400.jpeg-57.jpg
20200323_184047.jpg

Due to several factors that limited my ability to construct my own coop/run last spring I ended up buying an 8x8 enclosure from TSC.
That they do deliver.
BUT
if you don't have a loading dock and/or forklift, you are better off opting for store delivery. They send that thing on a semi that could not get into my neighborhood. And it didn't have a lift gate. I like it though. I do need to add more tarp to the roof though. this damn rain makes me wish I had gotten ducks!

Due to several factors that limited my ability to construct my own coop/run last spring I ended up buying an 8x8 enclosure from TSC.
That they do deliver.
BUT
if you don't have a loading dock and/or forklift, you are better off opting for store delivery. They send that thing on a semi that could not get into my neighborhood. And it didn't have a lift gate. I like it though. I do need to add more tarp to the roof though. this damn rain makes me wish I had gotten ducks!
Thankfully we got a truck and trailer, plus a tractor that got attachable forks.

Ugh, rain so bad even the winter wood ducks that visit are no where to be seen :th

I'm not a builder at all, but I wanted a second coop and I didn't want to pay 5K for it, so I attempted a cattle panel hoop coop last summer. It's not pretty and it's not perfect, but I'm fairly satisfied with it so far. Unfortunately, rodents started digging under my predator apron a few months after I built it. I had to put down some hardware cloth for flooring (luckily, I had plenty left over), and that seems to have solved the problem. I'm going to make a similar one for an extra shelter for my goats in a few weeks.

[NOTE: the run is from Amazon, and I love it, but it is not predator proofed at all. I'm not concerned about daytime predators and the flock is locked in the coop at night, and it is lined with hardware cloth.]

F5gpmjrERO-Qz4jfQzy1TA.jpg 3z_i_sKeRVOddsecv3dnPw.jpg 0VPY3YLsSPevqc9XdCcgYg.jpg

You need to consider where the whole OEGB project is going. Since OEGB have an ornamental quality (as opposed to strictly meat or egg birds) many OEGB people get into breeding all the various colors and patterns. When you are working toward a particular color or pattern you will not be collecting eggs from a large flock. You will be working with many small groups of breeders. This dictates many small breeding pens. A group of two to six bantam only need 24 square feet or less. Generally, that's not the sort of pen that you walk in to; it is more like a cage.

Another consideration is vermin. Rats eat chicken feed, eggs and young birds themselves. When everything needs to be emclosed in 1/2 inch hardware cloth, the hardware cloth becomes the main expense. When the height is increased from three to six feet you almost double the cost without doubling the number of birds (unless you embrace the vertical farming concept).
Yeah, I was planning to as things progress to have no more than three per pen, and hardwire cloth is a must. Reason I was looking at walk in is ease of trying to handle the birds and lessening chances of escapes. Want them to have some access to greens to, but I also know the trade off is damaged feathers etc.

Feed wise was going to give those pvc feeder designs a shot. Traditional feeders always lead to waste from my experience

And I am planning to focus on one variety, the other ones really never caught my eye so this could be to my advantage or downfall :lol:

Back
Top Bottom