A fun question on naming your chickens.

I tried to name mine, but since I only keep Black Australorps, it all becomes mute after they reach 20 weeks or so. My Rooster is Rooster Cogburn b/c we love John Wayne. I have one girl who has a trait flaw - she has amber instead of dark brown eyes, so he name (Amber) has stuck with her. My first girls were all old fashion names - Marietta, Gertrude and Beatrice; the exception was LC - for Loner Chick b/c she always wandered off. The four 11 week old chicks we call Baby-ators b/c they have always liked to perch anywhere high. Those, too, will fade with time b/c I won't be able to tell them apart. The exception being one who we believe is a cockerel - we will name him, but haven't yet b/c we are desperately hoping, above all odds, that he is a pullet. :lau

If I could tell them all apart, I would continue with the old fashion names, just b/c I like them and feel like I am getting back to the basics in life like the "good ole days". :)

I have over 40 chickens and over half have names! I will try to remember them all.
Yokie Jr (Yokohama mix hen)
Ruby (Lavender Ameraucana hen)
Silvia (Lavender Ameraucana hen)
Indigo (Lavender Ameraucana hen)
Finn (Lavender Ameraucana rooster)
Fancy (Splash Ameraucana hen)
Pebbles (Splash Ameraucana hen)
Henrietta (Polish hen)
Clover (Polish hen
Cake (Frizzle polish hen)
Roadrunner (Spitzhauben hen)
Rocky (Barred rock hen)
Buttercup (Buff Orpington hen)
Cloud (Light Brahma hen)
Mango (Buff Brahma hen)
Lemon (Buff Brahma hen)
Summer (Welsummer hen)
Pepper (Black Austrolorp mix hen)
June (Easter egger hen)
Raven (Easter egger hen)
Foghorn (Wheaten Maran rooster)
Tiny Tim (Birchen Serama rooster)
Cindy (Mottled Serama hen)
Cookie (Mottled Serama hen)
Minuscule Maddie (Black Serama hen)
Small Sofia (Black Serama hen)

And there are at least 10 more that dont have names.
Now for all the ones that died and had names:
Yokie (Silver Duckwing Yokohama---Yokie Jr's mother)
Sunshine (New Hampshire red)
Peepers (Grey Silkie rooster)
Fluffy (White silkie hen)
Red Red (Rhode Island red)

My first ducks were named by young children (you get no points for correctly guessing one got names Donald... Yup Donald the Duck :rolleyes: ) and... Of course Donald turned out to be a girl...

The most recent ducks I named before anyone else could get involved. There is a city north of me (in Canada) named Rouyn-Noranda and since my ducks are Khaki Campbell (includes some Rouen background) I named one Rouyn and the other Noranda. So when people ask... I get a funny, 'yeah I get the joke's look.

They are my inseparable couple (hen&drake), whose love is so famous a city is named for them. Gosh they share love ... Tender and inseparable.

My first flock started out with nicknames as babies since I'm so indecisive and also needed a way to tell them apart without leg bands. So there was Mustache Girl (due to her little black mustache above her beak), Golden Girl (since she was lighter and more golden than the others), and Egypt because her beak was trimmed in black like "eyeliner". Those names later changed. Mustache Girl became Moose, Golden Girl became Zelda, and Egypt became Cleo. Eventually they all ended up with names of characters I like from media: Tilly, Stitch, Kiki, Moose, Cleo, and Zelda. Their personalities match pretty well. Zelda is the dominant hen, so she's the princess of the group. Cleo is really sweet and calm like the fish in Pinocchio. Tilly is sweet but also a little mischievous like Tilly from Big City Greens. And so on.

When I adopted a white crested black Polish, I named her Cruella because of the black/white combo but I just call her Ella. She's not as ruthless as Cruella, haha.

My second group of chicks I just got two weeks ago I actually planned character names in advance. But I've just ended up with nicknames to start haha. Milk Mustache, Big Mustache, Little Mustache, Little Red, Blackie, Big Grey, and Little Grey. Finally starting to properly name them based on their personalities. Blackie is Alice and Little Red is Marceline.

I name mine after their personality and looks. My cali white is Fidget because she was most active as a chick. Pecker because she always pecked her mother's waddles, My white silkie is Sunny, because she is bright and warm like the sun. Pheonix has very long tail feathers, and Lonestar's sibling passed during hatching. In that way they all vary, but i recommend looking in the chick's eyes and that will tell you what the baby's name is.

I name all of my chicks after flowers:
My silkie hen- Willow
My other silkie hen- Daisy
My golden laced polish rooster- Dahlia, I was hoping for a girl but even thought he was a rooster I kept the name
My showgirl rooster- Hibiscus, again, I was hoping for a hen.
My three silkie chicks, Bougainvillea, Wisteria, and Gladiolus.
Mine are all flower(ish), too:

Orpingtons: Poppy and Hyacinth
Brahma: Aster
Cochin: Iris
BPR: Zinnia
Silkies: Violet and Dandelion
Spitz: Clary
NN: Rue
OE: Marigold
EEs: Lotus, Clover, and Sage
Leghorn: Saffron
Polish: Myrtle and Twiggy (not a flower, but still plant-related)
Sebright: Picotee (rooster)
Former birds: Bryony, Magnolia, Jessamine, Thistle, Cayenne

Ducks are food themed:
Welsh: Marmalade
Swedish: Clementine
Runner: Figgy
Saxony: Peanut
Pekin: Julep
Hookbill: Jill (not food, but she came with a name)
Calls: Cheddar and Apple

Geese have movie-themed names because they came that way:
Thelma, Louise, JD

Back
Top Bottom